Best bridge humbucker for bridge middle split

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best bridge humbucker for bridge middle split

Sorry if this has been covered a bajillion times, but my search terms didn’t hit it. I use the bridge middle on my Strat all the time, so I would not want to lose that with a humbucker. But would like to have a humbucker option. What’s the best humbucker, full or single coil size, to get that sound?

Re: Best bridge humbucker for bridge middle split

JB has been my favorite split because it's full enough and also has a suitable tone for strat position 2.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Hey so what's your middle single coil ? And what bridge single coil are you replacing ?
      It helps to know that so we can get you back in the same ballpark.

I've heard really nice tones out of a pearly gates bridge pickup split with a middle, modern single coil(10k). I'd say it was very "strat-like" and in fact I played a lot of the bluesy stratty songs (Kenny Wayne Shepherd, SRV, Hendrix) with that position and it was IMO very convincingly Strat-like.

I am also currently in love with a JB split with an antiquity single coil middle. It's a very groovy sound but I'm not sure how to describe it. The JB also sounds VERY good in my opinion, in Full humbucker mode in the 2 position with the middle single as well. Almost has a PAF mojo to it. They're both such good tones I can't decide which one I like better so I wired a push push pot to split the pickup instead of auto split. That's about been my experiences and both have been lovely

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
        JB has been my favorite split because it's full enough and also has a suitable tone for strat position 2.
        Good to know, probably JB full size right?

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
        Hey so what's your middle single coil ? And what bridge single coil are you replacing ?
        It helps to know that so we can get you back in the same ballpark.

I've heard really nice tones out of a pearly gates bridge pickup split with a middle, modern single coil(10k). I'd say it was very "strat-like" and in fact I played a lot of the bluesy stratty songs (Kenny Wayne Shepherd, SRV, Hendrix) with that position and it was IMO very convincingly Strat-like.

I am also currently in love with a JB split with an antiquity single coil middle. It's a very groovy sound but I'm not sure how to describe it. The JB also sounds VERY good in my opinion, in Full humbucker mode in the 2 position with the middle single as well. Almost has a PAF mojo to it. They're both such good tones I can't decide which one I like better so I wired a push push pot to split the pickup instead of auto split. That's about been my experiences and both have been lovely

Sent from my SM-G9
        I’m thinking about doing fender hot noiseless for neck and middle, Warmoth build, since I’m so used to them in my JB Strat.

Comment

Yes
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

I had a 59/custom hybrid that split really well. I mixed it with a ssl-52 and found it to be an excellent combo. It was very articulate and had a nice amount of strat quack.

Comment

A Stag Mag will absolutely keep that sound in tact if you split it when used with the middle. A close 2nd is the 59/Custom Hybrid.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Stag Mag - looks perfect, made for the Strat sound. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  A Stag Mag will absolutely keep that sound in tact if you split it when used with the middle. A close 2nd is the 59/Custom Hybrid.
                  Bingo!

I was also going to suggest the StagMag. I love that pup in full series or split. I also love it in parallel. Gets great quack in position 2.

And as a second option...the 59/Custom. Split to the Custom coil in position 2.
                  Originally Posted by IanBallard
                  Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I've changed my mind on the Fender noiseless, and I'm looking at the Vintage Hot Stack Plus for middle and neck. But I'm not sure if a RWRP middle would be better for pairing with the Stag Mag, or would two of the VHSP be fine?

Comment

Working...
                    X