Looking for info on Ibanez RG9QM wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for info on Ibanez RG9QM wiring

I tried making some mods to my RG9QM that didn’t work out, so now I’m trying to get it back to stock. I took several reference pictures before making any changes and followed them when reassembling it, but it’s not working how it should.

There is next to no information about this guitar online, and nothing at all on the Ibanez site since it’s a discontinued model. The only info I could find was a picture showing the pickup configuration:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LpR...ew?usp=sharing

And apparently it uses Ibanez branded Quantum 9 pickups.

I drew up my own diagram based on my pictures and following traces with a meter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/117U...ew?usp=sharing

But as I said, I’m not 100% sure it’s correct since it isn’t working correctly. If anyone has one of these guitars, it would be really helpful if we could compare info to see if my diagram is correct or not. I’ve contacted Ibanez trying to get a diagram from them, but they haven’t responded.

Thanks.

Re: Looking for info on Ibanez RG9QM wiring

Originally posted by Panopticon View Post
    I tried making some mods to my RG9QM that didn’t work out, so now I’m trying to get it back to stock. I took several reference pictures before making any changes and followed them when reassembling it, but it’s not working how it should.

There is next to no information about this guitar online, and nothing at all on the Ibanez site since it’s a discontinued model. The only info I could find was a picture showing the pickup configuration:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LpR...ew?usp=sharing

And apparently it uses Ibanez branded Quantum 9 pickups.

I drew up my own diagram based on my pictures and following traces with a meter:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/117U...ew?usp=sharing

But as I said, I’m not 100% sure it’s correct since it isn’t working correctly. If anyone has one of these guitars, it would be really helpful if we could compare info to see if my diagram is correct or not. I’ve contacted Ibanez trying to get a diagram from them, but they haven’t responded.

Thanks.
    I recognize those 5 pickup switch positions as the trademark of the Ibanez 3PS1SC5 switch. The OEM ID stamped on the switch reads 2502N.

That is specialized superswitch with fixed pickup combination results. It gives the 5 position results you linked to in your Google Drive pic when the switch is used for a 2 humbucker guitar, and it yields a different combination of 5 position results when used in a HSS guitar. So it does not *easily* support "wiring mods/options" like other superswitches. You'd have to study the signal mapping that is particuliar to this switch to determine what, if any worthwhile mods are possible. This switch is used widely across Ibanez's product line.

Following is a wiring diagram for a 2 humbucker guitar using that switch that will work for you. The wiring color code used in this diagram matches the wiring color code of your OEM Ibanez pickups. Your Ibanez OEM bridge pickup may have its two Finish wires (described in the 2nd pic) prejoined together, because they only need to be split if that pickup was going to be wired in Parallel mode - which its not, just the Neck pickup is. That is why the 1st pic only has 3 wires for the Bridge pickup vs 4 (plus bare wire) for the Bridge pickup in the 2nd pic.

The 2nd pic that follows explains the mapping of the lugs/contacts/signal flow of that switch. The wiring color code in this pic uses Seymour Duncan wiring color code.

You should be all set now. Let us know if you have any further questions.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_zpsd5wdc1g7.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5818279

Name:	image_125529.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	5818280
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-21-2020, 06:54 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Thanks a lot!!

Comment

Thanks a lot!!
        You're welcome.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

My guitar didn’t have that 330pf capacitor on the volume, what does it do exactly?

Comment

My guitar didn’t have that 330pf capacitor on the volume, what does it do exactly?
            That serves as a Treble Bleed Circuit (TBC). There are many options for how to wire a TBC. Read up on a summary of them at the link below. Option 4 in the pic below is the method used in the Ibanez wiring diagram i provided earlier.

Simple capacitor and resistor bleed circuits can reduce the effects that turning the volume control down, can have on tonal brightness.

Name:	20200222_021500.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	5818290
            Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-22-2020, 02:38 AM.

Comment

Okay, but what exactly does a treble bleed circuit do? How does it affect the sound?

Comment

Okay, but what exactly does a treble bleed circuit do? How does it affect the sound?
                As you roll volume down, you lose treble. With this mod, you keep your high end as you roll the volume down.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

Working...
                X