banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spin a Split in a 3 Way Switch - Is Such a Thing Possible?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spin a Split in a 3 Way Switch - Is Such a Thing Possible?

Not an expert in guitar electronics so please bear with me - I'm just wondering here: as Spin A Split requires a whole knob/stacked knobs... is there a possibility to install a switch on one coil in a humbucker - that goes from full to some of the sound grounded to split?

Re: Spin a Split in a 3 Way Switch - Is Such a Thing Possible?

You can certainly do a partial split. It would simply be preset to whatever value resistor you used. What you'd want to do, is wire in a temporary pot as a rheostat. That is, as a 2-terminal device. Use the middle and one end, and dial it down to where you like the sound best. Then remove the pot, and measure what resistance it is. Then get a resistor of that closest value. I'm not sure how practical this would be, but it's certainly do-able.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      You can certainly do a partial split. It would simply be preset to whatever value resistor you used. What you'd want to do, is wire in a temporary pot as a rheostat. That is, as a 2-terminal device. Use the middle and one end, and dial it down to where you like the sound best. Then remove the pot, and measure what resistance it is. Then get a resistor of that closest value. I'm not sure how practical this would be, but it's certainly do-able.
      Thanks Artie.

Why do you think it might be unpractical?

Comment

"Impractical" might not have been the right word to use. Just, of limited value. Then again, if you like it, that's what counts.

You'd wire the temp pot like this. Note: the top two terminals of the pot are shorted together in order to make it a variable resistor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	preset-spin-a-split.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	5818270

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          "Impractical" might not have been the right word to use. Just, of limited value. Then again, if you like it, that's what counts.

You'd wire the temp pot like this. Note: the top two terminals of the pot are shorted together in order to make it a variable resistor.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103392[/ATTACH]
          Thank you. It was very helpful.

Comment

No prob. Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
            X