Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TC Electronic Plethora X5

Originally posted by St_Genesius View Post
    I just don't understand why, when it's clearly and explicitly designed to integrate into a board with your existing pedals, they chose to have the signal run Left to Right, backwards from every every pedalboard ever.

I know that's common in standalone, all-in-one multi-fx pedals, but this... isn't one of those. It's functionally five independent pedals in a single box.

Hopefully a firmware patch will allow for swapping the flow. If they can move the loop around with software, surely they can reorder the virtual, software-based pedals to display in the proper order.
    I completely agree.

Also, the preorder price is $499 not $399, which is a bit of a bummer.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'm okay with the price. I've been so impressed with the time and modulation TonePrint stuff over the years that I think it's worth the extra Benjamin.

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      I completely agree.

---------------------------
      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I completely agree.

I thought the order was 'backwards', too. How'd they get that through beta testing?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
          As much as I hate that "if it was good enough in the 50's it's good enough now and change is scary" attitude that's so pervasive among guitarist, this feels like yet another poorly thought through TC design. Yes, it's awesome how much stuff you can cram into one box these days and yes, I'm sure people who love tweaking can spend days at home setting up and saving profiles. But not being able to tweak things on the fly makes it kinda of useless in any band or live setting. I have a hard time imagining anyone using this as a replacement for a floor rig that you can tweak to accommodate whatever venue or situation you may encounter. Whipping out your cell phone mid rehearsal to turn your carefully crafted reverb down seems likea good way to piss off your band mates.

Case in point, I love my Flashback Mk I and it's super innovative how they built in a strum-tempo function, but it's completely useless in a live setting unless you have a singer who loves to give speeches between songs. What TC should've done is added four or so extra knobs for tweaking settings, so you're not limited to using apps. Then again, maybe they're saving that for the next version?
          I thought this was almost perfect multi effects unit when reading through specs.

It has everything needed, and nothing useless. Just that the bluetooth requirement with phone completely ruins it.

Why?

Edit: Did I understood that you can actually fit three parametres adjustable from the single knob? If that's the case then this might become the first digital multieffect that I might buy in the future. Absolutely perfect...?
          Last edited by Jacew; 03-01-2020, 03:26 AM.
          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
            I thought this was almost perfect multi effects unit when reading through specs.

It has everything needed, and nothing useless. Just that the bluetooth requirement with phone completely ruins it.

Why?

Edit: Did I understood that you can actually fit three parametres adjustable from the single knob? If that's the case then this might become the first digital multieffect that I might buy in the future. Absolutely perfect...?
            Yes, there are wide array of toneprints available for each effect and you get three parameters to adjust right on the unit. (It looks like you get one knob per “pedal”, but each time you select an effect for a slot all knobs are active.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Why?

Like the regular pedals they are based on, Bluetooth isn't required. If you want to deep-dive into the parameters, or use toneprints, you'd need Bluetooth. So it can be as easy to use (3 parameters per effect) or as precise (dozens of parameters) as you need.

Comment

~$99/slot i guess

Older price was more attractive. Still acceptable for a box of toneprint pedals.

Comment

That thing would have been perfect for me, searching for a "just in the loop" box.

I almost never tweek a setting live. The delays/swirls/reverbs are what they are and are built for the context of the band live in 'most' situations.

I could easily set up a pitch/delay/chorus/reverb setting and then hit an EQ for a solo or something. As for distortion, I'd just use my own into the amp, or the amp.

I don't know that it works any better than my G3N
                  Last edited by Aceman; 03-01-2020, 09:17 PM.
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    Like the regular pedals they are based on, Bluetooth isn't required. If you want to deep-dive into the parameters, or use toneprints, you'd need Bluetooth. So it can be as easy to use (3 parameters per effect) or as precise (dozens of parameters) as you need.
                    Yes, there are wide array of toneprints available for each effect and you get three parameters to adjust right on the unit. (It looks like you get one knob per “pedal”, but each time you select an effect for a slot all knobs are active.
                    That's great.

How does the MASH function work? Anyone has any experience with that?
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

That's great.

How does the MASH function work? Anyone has any experience with that?
                      I've used a few TC pedals. The MASH function is like an expression pedal built in to the footswitch. You press down hard, and, say, the delay time and feedback get higher. Or whatever you want. It works very well, and having 5 of them would be great.

Comment

Viscous Vibe, Helix Phaser and Looper coming later this year...
                        Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-25-2020, 07:53 PM.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Viscous Vibe, Helix Phaser and Looper coming later this year...
                          This is great news. I hope the looper can do some cool stuff.

Comment

It's funny, I sent an email to TC like 5-6 years ago suggesting to built a multi-slot pedal driven by Toneprints. Can I get one for free?

Comment

Still interested in it, but I have an HX Effects which does much of the same stuff, and includes drives, too. So maybe in a year when prices come down or some come up used. I like some TC effects, but other than a Ditto X4, I haven't kept them.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                                Seems really awesome. Except having to do most of your editing through the toneprint app. I want to be able to turn knobs.
                                Honestly, i'd be OK with that. I'd only want to tweak 2-3 things in a live setting, like rate, mix, level, etc. I've been so reluctant to move over to digital gear in a lot of ways because I hate using menus and scroll/select stuff. I work with computers for a living so I'm tech literate, I guess when it comes to music gear I just like to do my tweaking with knobs and soldering irons and just leaving it a certain way.

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                                Meh. Give me an updated G-System and I'm all ears.
                                Gawd, I'd jump at an updated G system with more/better effects options and the ability to move effect blocks around.

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                                ~$99/slot i guess

Older price was more attractive. Still acceptable for a box of toneprint pedals.
                                I'll probably still wait for 'em to show up used. Can't wait to try this out tho.

Comment

Working...
                                X