Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TC Electronic Plethora X5

Default Re: TC Electronic Plethora X5

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    I thought this was almost perfect multi effects unit when reading through specs.

It has everything needed, and nothing useless. Just that the bluetooth requirement with phone completely ruins it.

Why?

Edit: Did I understood that you can actually fit three parametres adjustable from the single knob? If that's the case then this might become the first digital multieffect that I might buy in the future. Absolutely perfect...?
    Like the regular pedals they are based on, Bluetooth isn't required. If you want to deep-dive into the parameters, or use toneprints, you'd need Bluetooth. So it can be as easy to use (3 parameters per effect) or as precise (dozens of parameters) as you need.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Super Toneologist

Quote Originally Posted by PFDarkside View Post
    Also, the preorder price is $499 not $399, which is a bit of a bummer.
    ~$99/slot i guess

Older price was more attractive. Still acceptable for a box of toneprint pedals.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

That thing would have been perfect for me, searching for a "just in the loop" box.

I almost never tweek a setting live. The delays/swirls/reverbs are what they are and are built for the context of the band live in 'most' situations.

I could easily set up a pitch/delay/chorus/reverb setting and then hit an EQ for a solo or something. As for distortion, I'd just use my own into the amp, or the amp.

I don't know that it works any better than my G3N
    Last edited by Aceman; 03-01-2020 at 07:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Like the regular pedals they are based on, Bluetooth isn't required. If you want to deep-dive into the parameters, or use toneprints, you'd need Bluetooth. So it can be as easy to use (3 parameters per effect) or as precise (dozens of parameters) as you need.
    Yes, there are wide array of toneprints available for each effect and you get three parameters to adjust right on the unit. (It looks like you get one knob per “pedal”, but each time you select an effect for a slot all knobs are active.
    That's great.

How does the MASH function work? Anyone has any experience with that?
    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Quote Originally Posted by Jacew View Post
    That's great.

How does the MASH function work? Anyone has any experience with that?
    I've used a few TC pedals. The MASH function is like an expression pedal built in to the footswitch. You press down hard, and, say, the delay time and feedback get higher. Or whatever you want. It works very well, and having 5 of them would be great.

Viscous Vibe, Helix Phaser and Looper coming later this year...
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 03-25-2020 at 06:53 PM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Viscous Vibe, Helix Phaser and Looper coming later this year...
    This is great news. I hope the looper can do some cool stuff.

Ultimate Tone Member

It's funny, I sent an email to TC like 5-6 years ago suggesting to built a multi-slot pedal driven by Toneprints. Can I get one for free?

Still interested in it, but I have an HX Effects which does much of the same stuff, and includes drives, too. So maybe in a year when prices come down or some come up used. I like some TC effects, but other than a Ditto X4, I haven't kept them.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarStv View Post
    Seems really awesome. Except having to do most of your editing through the toneprint app. I want to be able to turn knobs.
    Honestly, i'd be OK with that. I'd only want to tweak 2-3 things in a live setting, like rate, mix, level, etc. I've been so reluctant to move over to digital gear in a lot of ways because I hate using menus and scroll/select stuff. I work with computers for a living so I'm tech literate, I guess when it comes to music gear I just like to do my tweaking with knobs and soldering irons and just leaving it a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
    Meh. Give me an updated G-System and I'm all ears.
    Gawd, I'd jump at an updated G system with more/better effects options and the ability to move effect blocks around.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank- View Post
    ~$99/slot i guess

Older price was more attractive. Still acceptable for a box of toneprint pedals.
    I'll probably still wait for 'em to show up used. Can't wait to try this out tho.

Quote Originally Posted by B2D
    Gawd, I'd jump at an updated G system with more/better effects options and the ability to move effect blocks around.
    It seems like the G System and G Major are just kept in the catalog for a few people to buy them, with no intentions of ever updating.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

I can't really justify it already owning the HX Effects, which has a lot of effect types that the Plethora X5 doesn't have (yet). While I like their MASH buttons, there just isn't the variety of effects yet, although I do love the design.

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    I know, right! The original was brilliant for its time, if you had an amp with a good loop and knew how to set it up. Today it is old-fashioned technology, and many of its solutions have been implemented in the Helix and Axe-FX, but whilst I keep an HX Effects around for convenience, I maintain that the almost fifteen year old G-System still sounds better. Those algorithms are solid gold if you like pure, pristine effects. I have no interest in amp modelling, so if they ever did a new one I'd be all over it... it might, in fact, be one of the things that could make me toss my old one out!

It seems like the G System and G Major are just kept in the catalog for a few people to buy them, with no intentions of ever updating.
    I'm not getting my hopes up, but they did give a less-than-subtle hint that something might be in the works on FB last year. Perhaps the Plethora is a test run for a smaller unit, with a Cornucopia (to use a similar name) coming later? One can hope.

I came from outer space - that's how I know your name!

Just saw this on Youtube...totally forgot about it since I posted.

I still think it is pretty freaking cool. I'd program all of my effects with the app at home.

Then, if needed, it obviously can be tweaked live. I like the 4 knobs per effect on my G3N though. It's easy to go right to the thing you need to change, especially under stress.

None of these things is perfect. I think I'd be as happy with that as an M9, as my G3N...just different.

Price is still a little high for me. It is in the same range as an HX Effects, and with any of the Line 6 ones, you get way more effects (and gain pedals, too). TC Electronic might add gain models in the future, but as it is now, there are better deals out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirion View Post
    ...I maintain that the almost fifteen year old G-System still sounds better. Those algorithms are solid gold if you like pure, pristine effects. I have no interest in amp modelling, so if they ever did a new one I'd be all over it... it might, in fact, be one of the things that could make me toss my old one out!
    I don't care for amp modeling in any situation but recording.

Agh... this talk is making me want to get a G-System or an FX8 to play with.

Anyone think it's worth getting the iB modified G-System over the regular one?

Quote Originally Posted by B2D View Post
    I don't care for amp modeling in any situation but recording.

Agh... this talk is making me want to get a G-System or an FX8 to play with.

Anyone think it's worth getting the iB modified G-System over the regular one?
    It seems like the buffers are improved, and noise is decreased. There’s a reference somewhere of every unit after S/N XXXXXX has the improved buffers.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!