Thread: Stacked P90 Neck Single Coil Bridge

Default Stacked P90 Neck Single Coil Bridge

Hi - I am building a Tele Custom with a SD Stacked P90 in the neck position and a single coil of some description in the bridge. I want a traditional Tele sound from the bridge (lots of twang) but I'm worried that the Stacked P90 will be too high powered. Can anyone advise on a suitable Tele bridge pickup that won't seem too mis-matched, but will still give me the sound I want please? A lot of the ones I have looked at seem too hot and don't really sound so good clean. Noiseless would be amazing (hence the stacked P90). I'm no expert on pickups - but learning as i go ...

Default Re: Stacked P90 Neck Single Coil Bridge

there arent too many hot noiseless tele bridge pups im familiar with, bardens are great but probably not what ya want. why the stacked p90 neck?

Welcome to the forum!

I haven't heard of a Tele pickup that does all of that, but you can get really close. The BG1400 is noiseless, and will match output with the P90. There is some twang there, but it sounds..well, like a P90 in a Tele. The Jerry Donahue will be great output-wise, and absolutely sounds like a Tele, but it isn't noiseless. You might have to contact the Custom Shop for all 3 of those.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.

Hi Jeremy - thanks for your reply - I will check out the Bardens. Basically, I like the sound of P90's but hate the hum and the stacked one is noise cancelling, but can be wired in series or parallel - so gives me some options. I'm trying to build something that gives me the tones I want all in one guitar - but might be being a bit naive! It's an interesting project though!

Quote Originally Posted by Mincer View Post
    Welcome to the forum!

I haven't heard of a Tele pickup that does all of that, but you can get really close. The BG1400 is noiseless, and will match output with the P90. There is some twang there, but it sounds..well, like a P90 in a Tele. The Jerry Donahue will be great output-wise, and absolutely sounds like a Tele, but it isn't noiseless. You might have to contact the Custom Shop for all 3 of those.
    Awesome - many thanks for these suggestions. I will definitely check them out! The Jerry Donahue does sound good. More listening required!!

Name:  Tele.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  25.2 KB
    Hi - so the Jerry Donahue it is and the stacked P90 in the neck. Should look like this when it is finished (excuse the primitive CAD based on PowerPoint and cut and paste!). Thanks for the help guys!

looks like a fun guitar!

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

You can't really go wrong with the JD. Nice project.