Humbucker Series/Parallel Switch Function With 3 Way PU Selector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humbucker Series/Parallel Switch Function With 3 Way PU Selector

New to forum and PU electronics. I understand the function of a series/parallel switch for a humbucking PU but want to confirm how it should work with the 3 way PU selector. For a guitar, Feiten Elite Pro, with a neck BF-120 stacked single coil PU and a BF-109 bridge 4 conductor PAF type Humbucker, I assume the standard is the series/parallel switch would function in the middle and bridge only PU selector and not in the neck only position. I had the PU selector recently replaced and now there is a tonal difference using the s/p switch with the PU selector in the neck and middle position but not the bridge only. Possible the wiring is reversed? Appreciate any insight. Thanks
    Last edited by Martillo; 02-20-2020, 09:22 AM.

Re: Humbucker Series/Parallel Switch Function With 3 Way PU Selector

Welcome to the forum!

Maybe the switch is selecting the neck pickup in series or parallel, as opposed to them in series or parallel with each other. If you have pics of the diagram and/or your wiring, we might be able to sort this out.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
      Welcome to the forum!

Maybe the switch is selecting the neck pickup in series or parallel, as opposed to them in series or parallel with each other. If you have pics of the diagram and/or your wiring, we might be able to sort this out.
      Thanks for the reply. It's possible that is the case but I thought this particular s/p switch was specific to the bridge humbucker. I don't have pics and the guitar is currently at the repair shop. Buzz Feiten has two you tube videos that shed some light on the guitar electronics which still leaves me with questions. Feiten Electronics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZATgqoas00 and Feiten NAMM '15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdyHwWN-m5c Elite Pro demo starts at 3:14.
      Last edited by Martillo; 02-20-2020, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martillo View Post
        Thanks for the reply. It's possible that is the case but I thought this particular s/p switch was specific to the bridge humbucker. I don't have pics and the guitar is currently at the repair shop. Buzz Feiten has two you tube videos that shed some light on the guitar electronics which still leaves me with questions. Feiten Electronics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZATgqoas00 and Feiten NAMM '15 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdyHwWN-m5c Elite Pro demo starts at 3:14.
        Welcome to the forum.

I watched the first video where he describes the series/parallel switch functionality. He clearly says it yields two tones for a "single pickup" - in this case the bridge humbucker. So at least i can confiem that your original assessment was correct - that you would only hear the effects of that functionality in the two pickup selector positions that include the bridge pickup - but not in the neck pickup only position. And i also agree with your earlier guess as to what is wrong - that most likely the new pickup selector switch has been wired backwards so the Neck Only position is now the Bridge Only position and vice versa.

It could also be that the tech wired the pickup selector switch correctly but physically reinstalled it backwards.

You can verify if either of these two is the case by having the guitar plugged in, putting the pickup selector switch in Neck Only mode and then litely tapping each pickup with a screwdriver to see which pickup is actually active in that position. This method doesn't identify which of the two "reverse" errors it is - physically backward or wired in reverse - but again it can at least confirm that the fault is one of those two things.
        Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-22-2020, 05:20 AM.
        Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

No, it doesn't sound like the pickup selector switch that was wired wrong, it sounds like neck pup was wired to the series/parallel switch instead of the bridge pup. However it's easy to check whether the series/parallel switch is wrong or if the 3-way selector switch is backwards (either wired backwards or installed 180 degrees wrong)...put the 3-way in the neck position and tap your pickups with a screwdriver. If you get a louder sound from the neck pup, the 3-way is mounted correctly. Leaving the 3-way on the neck pup, flip the series/parallel switch...if you hear a change then the neck pup is wired to the series/parallel switch instead of the bridge pup.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks to all for your help. Just got the guitar back from the shop and was confirmed the wiring was reversed on the PU selector. S/P switch now functions in middle and bridge position. Sad, true and kinda funny but after the PU selector was replaced I brought the guitar back and clearly explained the S/P switch was not working on the bridge PU, written on the repair slip. Their response was the switch was not working because I lived near the ocean combined with not playing the guitar on a regular basis and assured me it was now working. Needless to say the issue still existed and traveled a bit further to a better shop where they easily corrected the wiring.
            Last edited by Martillo; 02-22-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Martillo View Post
              Thanks to all for your help. Just got the guitar back from the shop and was confirmed the wiring was reversed on the PU selector. S/P switch now functions in middle and bridge position. Sad, true and kinda funny but after the PU selector was replaced I brought the guitar back and clearly explained the S/P switch was not working on the bridge PU, written on the repair slip. Their response was the switch was not working because I lived near the ocean combined with not playing the guitar on a regular basis and assured me it was now working. Needless to say the issue still existed and traveled a bit further to a better shop where they easily corrected the wiring.
              Glad it worked out. As i read your reply and got to the part where the 1st shop gave the lame excuse, i said to myself i hope he did not return to that shop" and was happy to see as i continued to read that you in fact chose another shop. Good call. What unprofessionalism on the part of the 1st shop.

Enjoy the guitar.
              Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

I hope you write a bad review of that first shop. Hopefully it will prevent some other person from having a similar bad experience.
                Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-23-2020, 12:49 PM.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                X