Seth Lover PAF Riddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seth Lover PAF Riddle

I use Seymour Duncan Seth Lover PAF pickups in a Les Paul Classic, all circa 2002. The puzzle: never been much distinction between the neck and bridge pickup in tone, both always been on the bright side, not much darkening to speak of on the neck pup, while highs on the bridge are similar, tho a tad spiky. Tamed the spike (somewhat) over the years w different speakers in my Rivera Chubster 55 amp. Now, I have a different amp, a Soursound SS 15. Fabulous sound! But still, only slight difference in tone between in the two pups; like the pups were run thr EQ with an identical target output. As a result, I don’t much use the bridge, plenty of mids/highs on the neck. Trying to understand what’s up w this setup. Is the above described tone characteristic of the Seth Lover PAF’s electronics and signature? Or how much might either of those amp(s) figure in? How much might be the guitar itself? Not exactly the riddle of the sphinx, I know, but any thoughts as to why this particular result? Thanks! -CG

Re: Seth Lover PAF Riddle

welcome to the forum!

i tend to play through an old deluxe reverb most of the time and have one guitar loaded with a seth set, in that guitar there is a quite noticeable difference between neck and bridge. the guitar is a swamp ash tele type thing with korina neck, so quite different than what you have, but the two pups sound very different. neck is warm and clear, the bridge has a lot of teeth in a good way and is thinner sounding overall

Comment

It could just be that you're using 2 of the same pickup, right ? Usually the change in position itself is enough to have quite a change in the tone but I know what you mean. The more I think about it, I've had guitars that had that 'problem' as well. I would suggest picking the one you love the most, and experiment with replacing the other one with a '59 model. Might give that position some bite and edge that makes it distinct from the other.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
        It could just be that you're using 2 of the same pickup, right ?
        That’s how it was done. Both pickups were the same. It’s not until the mid 70s did you start to see hotter bridge pickups.

PAFs are bright pickups. I tend to like a slightly hotter bridge pickup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks, glad to join! And thanks for the feedback (sounds like a nice rig). That gave me a thought. I wonder, the PAFs are not stock. Wasn't interested in the stock ceramics when I bought the Classic, and had the PAFs put in on a recommendation by a tech. It was so long ago and I knew next to nothing. But I'm recalling now that the tech complained about the stock wiring from Gibson: it seems like he may have tweaked w the caps or some such. Could something like that explain what I'm hearing? Anybody...?

Comment

Ops, didn't see these other messages. Thanks! Yah, if the pups are the same, that would count for a lot! I'll check out the specs on that, if I can find them for the 2002 version of the Lovers. ...Any chance something w the electronics, too, as I mentioned?

Comment

Have you tried screwing the adjustable screws further down and moving the whole neck pickup up closer to the strings? This will give you a darker sound in that position.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Haven' tried adjusting the pickups. Sounds worth a shot. Thanks.

Comment

I have seths on my semi hollow and there’s a dramatic difference in tone bt the neck and bridge. The bridge should have a definitive bite to it - lots of highs and mids. So much that I usually roll off some of the trebles on the tone knob.

Gotta be your setup. Check your pickup heights.

Comment

Originally posted by electroncricket View Post
                    But I'm recalling now that the tech complained about the stock wiring from Gibson: it seems like he may have tweaked w the caps or some such. Could something like that explain what I'm hearing? Anybody...?
                    Sounds almost to me like he has wired the neck pickup in series with a capacitor...

Anyway, I've mounted once a pair of bridge Seth Lover's in a LP Std from the early 2000's: the neck pickup was too dark to my ears comparatively to the bridge one. I had also to set it a lot lower under the strings than the bridge PU but that was expected.

The only case that I know where two HB's typically don't sound really different is 24 frets guitars with the bridge pickup too far from the bridge; when the spacing between N & B PU's is too small, they logically sound close to each other.

Now, each guitar is unique so what you experiment might be due to the specific resonance of the materials used to build this instrument...

A DCR measurement of each pickup might be useful anyway: it would tell if the tech has put a series cap somewhere or not (since series capacitors make impossible DCR readings). Or simply a pic of the pots inside the electronic cavity...
                    Duncan user since the 80's...

Comment

I would also start getting used to using the tone knob a lot. It really opens up a lot of sounds when used with both pickups on.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

This makes no sense to me lol. The Seth neck is super warm while the bridge is bright and thin. You could push either of them in your desired direction with mag swaps.
                        The things that you wanted
                        I bought them for you

Comment

The only times I’ve gotten bridge and neck pickups to sound nearly the same was by using totally different pickups in each slot, or matched sets where the bridge or neck was tweaked to make them sound consistent. For example, WLH matched set, or alternately Seth neck with a 59 neck in the bridge.

My Seth set is somewhat consistent but they don’t sound alike. The tech might have used different pot values for bridge and neck (I’ve done that and it works to a lesser degree, like put the higher value on the neck and lower value on the bridge and the pickup eq starts to draw closer to each other)

Comment

There may be something wrong here. The Seths on my h555 sound very different when going from the neck to the bridge (and visa versa).

B
                            FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

^ Me too.

Any low output/vintage clone pickup set I have had (30 plus sets), whether the same pickup in all slots, higher K in the bridge or higher in the neck have always had significant tonal variation. So much so that I always need to dial back on the tone control quite a bit in the bridge pickup so that they do sound more alike - so that tone settings on the amp can be kept the same when flipping from one to the other and not have extreme differences.

Did you wire both guitars?? Are you 100% sure that you are actually getting both pickups when you select between them. Them being very close tonally might happen on one guitar......a somewhat unusual anomaly. With 2 guitars - and them being exactly the same in a very unusual occurrence - I start to consider other possibilities.
                              Last edited by AlexR; 02-21-2020, 03:25 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X