Seth Lover PAF Riddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Seth Lover PAF Riddle

Welcome to the forum. Let me share my experiences with you. I have a 2000 Classic which is mostly stock, except for the ceramic pickups that were swapped 3 years out for Duncan '59's. After 12 years with those, I put in Seths a few years back. They measure 7.2k on the neck and 8.2k on the bridge pup. My guitar when played unplugged, is bright and snappy due to a bit less wood. This may be what you're experiencing. Does is sound bright when unplugged? You could measure the pickup output with a meter and check that they are in the range SD has on their site for that set.

Next, the heights. If you don't have a precision rule, you can use a pair of nickels to help. If I check my Seths' heights when both e strings are fretted at the last fret, they show me 1 nickel's height from 1st string to pole piece on the bridge Seth, for the high e string. For the neck pup, just about 1/32” less than 1 nickel. For the bridge low e 6th. string, it measures a touch less than a two nickels. The neck 6th string low e, using two nickels, shows a bit less than two nickels. That puts me near what I want to hear and the rest are minor screwdriver tweaks....sometimes not even necessary. If you were to look at my Seth neck pup, the 6th string side is lower than its ring and the 1st string side is above its ring. It looks odd, but the tone result is what matters.

If I find that I get too much of a piercing bridge tone, I back down the height screw at the high e string side of the bridge until the piercing disappears. I then test my middle switch position tone. That is the position that gives me the most thought because I never seems to get it perfect, but as long as I hear a typical Les Paul middle position tone, I'm content.

Studioplayer
    Last edited by Studioplayer; 02-21-2020, 06:09 AM.

Comment

One other thing to do, and it may sound silly, is to test that the switch is actually switching the pickups.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Yeah... a simple screwdriver test. Or better yet, measuring the DC's with a multimeter...

B
        FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

I agree with all of the recent posters. The pickups themselves should sound noticeably different. Even identical pickups should sound pretty different just from the way the strings ring out over the neck vs bridge slots. That's why "calibrated" sets were created, to bring them closer together EQ-wise. If they're really that similar then there's probably something going on with the wiring and/or the setup, and since you said the neck is bright then I would start there.

Comment

Working...
          X