Epiphone Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epiphone Les Paul

I year ago, I bought a new Epiphone Les Paul from Amazon for $499.00 + tax. Right out of the box the action was terrible. Buzzing, no sound on some strings. But the main problem is in the high E string. I'm using Billy Gibbons .007-.038. They are working great on my 66 Gibson ES125TDC after I got used to them and I use a 1.0mm Dunlap Gatorback pick, love them. But the high E on the new Les Paul gets stuck on the frets off of the neck. The frets are sharp on the edge and the string gets stuck. Even broke a couple of brand new springs because of it. I just put the guitar away in it's case for the last 8 months because I couldn't play it like that. What do I do? Just file the end of the frets without, hopefully, not hurting the wood?

Re: Epiphone Les Paul

What do I do?
    You take it to a guitar tech and have them look at it, unless you want to try to file down and smooth out the fret ends yourself? It's not a terribly difficult job, but you'll probably have to buy some basic tools to do it.

The other benefit of taking it to a proper repair person is that they can give the whole guitar a look over to see if it needs anything else.

Comment

Welcome to the forum!

I agree here. This isn't a job for you- there may be several issues at play, and a professional will give you a good idea of how to sort them out. Do some research and find out who everyone in your area goes to for fretwork and guitar setups. A good tech will have that guitar playing great, provided there are no real structural issues with it.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

You may also want to add your location to your profile. Others in your area may then be able to recommend someone.

Comment

Thank you. I live in the desert about 150 miles from Vegas and 10 miles north of Barstow. So, you can't just buy a new guitar and expect to play it until you pay to have it set up?

Comment

Originally posted by Billy D. Main View Post
            Thank you. I live in the desert about 150 miles from Vegas and 10 miles north of Barstow. So, you can't just buy a new guitar and expect to play it until you pay to have it set up?
            This has been my experience

Unless you buy from a reputable shop that provides setup as part of the purchase agreement

The more upscale places like Kiesel and other custom builders offer a better out of the box experience

But online discount Epiphone
            Nope

That's why its cheap
            EHD
            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Yeah, sometimes you get lucky with online/mail order, but Amazon isn't into guitar setups. Generally speaking, lower priced instruments receive less attention in terms of fretwork, because it can be labor and time-intensive to do well.

Also, you live in the desert. So do I. I have a feeling the fingerboard has dried out a bit from a combination of air conditioning and dry desert air. As it dries, the wood shrinks slightly, but the frets being metal do not, so they stick out. You should get in a routine of oiling your fretboard every few months to help counter this.

I'm a huge fan of Gerlitz' Guitar Honey. Spray on a rag, wipe down the fret board liberally, let soak for 1-2 minutes, then dry and buff with a clean rag or paper towel. I have 20 year-old guitars I've kept out in the open whose fretboards still look new and frets have never needed additional attention. Plus, one bottle will last you years.

Get the guaranteed best price on General Care & Cleaning like the Gerlitz Guitar Honey Fretboard Treatment at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

Comment

As others have said . . . not mail order. But it's not much of a road trip to drive over to Phoenix so Masta' C can fix it up for you.

Legal note: A comment on my part, does not imply an obligation on Masta' C's part.

Comment

I feel your pain. I bought my Epi Les Paul from Amazon a couple years ago and out of the box it was terrible. Huge fret buzz, action not to my liking, and sharp fret ends. So I got a luthier to dress the frets and do a full setup and it made a huge difference.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Yeah - If you are buying "over the airwaves" you really need to be prepared to send it back or get it set up.

Given Epiphone, Desert, and .007's, a full set up will probably do wonders. Just chalk it up to the cost of buying off the internet.

As mentioned, it doesn't sound like anything devastating, but will certainly take time and effort. Maybe not a good choice for your first project. But as said, A little fret end filing, a truss rod and action adjust meant for the .007, and I'll bet it it good to go.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

You changed string gauges by at least 2 sets, if not 3 depending on if it came with 9s or 10s. Of course it needs a setup.
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Just wanted to let everyone know that I fixed the Epiphone Les Paul myself about 2 weeks ago. I've been an auto mechanic for 45 years and have tons of tools. I just brought in a half dozen of files, a few feeler gauges, made a couple tiny 1 by 2 by 1 and a half blocks and glued some 400 grit sandpaper and put some tiny nails like you wrap a present. Then another one with 600 grit. Ended up using a 40 or 50 year old German file with broken handle, handed down to me from my step grandpa in the early 80's. He probably had it over 30 years himself. About 10 inches long, 1 inch wide and thin, fine course. Filed the frets all the way down the neck on the high E side about 15 ° down from parallel. Sanded carefully with the little blocks and is 95% better. Bought a book off Amazon on how to set up a guitar. Book also has section on adjusting an arch top moveable bridge for my 66 Gibson ES125TDC. It helped me get that set up to almost 95 % perfect too. Believe it or not, the 66 plays and blows away the Les Paul hands down with 30 % the effort. I started using the Billy Gibbons .007 through .038 strings a couple years ago and wouldn't use anything else now. Sound good on both guitars. Thanks a heap for the advice to just try myself.

Comment

I got the Dan Erlewine book off Amazon several years ago

Invaluable

Setting truss rods
                            Sanding frets
                            Setting action

All that

Which book did you get?
                            EHD
                            Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                            RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                            SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                            Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                            Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                            Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                            Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                            GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Glad you got it playing.

That's not been my experience with Epiphones (from Musician's Friend). Indeed, I've had to do fret work on nearly EVERY guitar I've ever purchased to get it up to my standards, but Epis have required much less work than other brands including, and especially, Gibson.

As was said, going down to 7s is going to require some adjusting no matter what guitar you have.

Yes, Dan Erlewine's books are essential to every guitar player. He's got several books, but "How to Make Your Guitar Play Great" should be required reading for every player.
                              Originally Posted by IanBallard
                              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                              X