Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Help with push/pull wiring

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
    Actually I still think that Artie's solution is the one I'm looking for. I did not mean to switch between 1 batteries/2 batteries, but between 9 volts and 18 volts. That is why I said parallel or series: former resulting in 9 volts and equal, albeit proportionally lower drainage in both batteries and the latter resulting in the voltage adding up to 18. If I went for 1 batteries/2 batteries I wouldn't even need the on/on switch, I might be able to get by with an on/off switch, right? Also, as I described above, I was afraid that by not using both batteries in 9 V mode I'd either have to ground or short one of the batteries, which doesn't sound cool. As always though, my self confessed illiteracy in electronics leaves ample room for me to be completely wrong, so if you (or anyone else) has an alternative/better/whatever solution, Im all ears!
    Understood and glad you're happy with the diagram. But yeah this parallel config is not what is meant when people use the term "9 volt mode", that's all. 9 volt mode is the OEM/stock config with 1 battery powering both pickups. Enjoy.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
      Valid technical concern, but a sidestep to the question at at hand. What is the problem with being FORTHCOMING *earlier* about your proposed design not matching what the OP requested? Especially when someone (me) had already pointed out that what the OP requested could not really be a "parallel" a scenario. Such behavior heads down the path of becoming like member Shadowfire90 (uncanny opportunity for me to say "read my sig").
      I really don't understand your comment, or your tone. My diagram exactly matches what the OP wanted, and really is a parallel scenario. I'm guessing that it doesn't match how you'd do it, and that's cool. I also have no idea who Shadowfire is. I generally try to avoid forum drama. I also don't know what your,(or anyone else's), sig says. I have that feature turned off in my profile.

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
        You are correct that the OP used the phrase "series/parallel" to describe what he wanted, but that is not what the scheme is in reality. In reality, it would be either 1 battery supplying power to 2 pickups (which is the normal "9 volt" config for active pickups), or 2 batteries in series supplying power to both pickups (a.k.a. "the 18 volt mod"). Thinking that through, there is no "parallel mode" present in what was just described - which if there were, that would have *both* batteries active but wired in parallel instead of in series. No, here, only one battery is active n the non-series mode. That is not a "parallel" wiring scenario.
        Yes, that does put the two batteries in parallel or series. It doesn't just switch to one battery.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I certainly understand kingswebe's confusion. In nexion218's original post he mentioned installing "a small harness of 3 battery clips" and a switch to change from 18v to 9v. And he mentioned series/parallel. If he was wanting three batteries, he could switch between two in series and the third battery by itself. If he was wanting what Artie diagrammed (which, by the way, is an excellent solution) he wouldn't need the third battery clip.

The original post WAS very confusing. But I think it is now all straightened out thanks to artie.
          Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-23-2020, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Actually, the 3rd battery clip is a quik-'n-dirty way to connect the other two together without soldering. It just "snaps" the others together. I'll see if I can find the article that shows this technique.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              I certainly understand kingswebe's confusion. In nexion218's original post he mentioned installing "a small harness of 3 battery clips" and a switch to change from 18v to 9v. And he mentioned series/parallel. If he was wanting three batteries, he could switch between two in series and the third battery by itself. If he was wanting what Artie diagrammed (which, by the way, is an excellent solution) he wouldn't need the third battery clip.

The original post WAS very confusing. But I think it is now all straightened out thanks to artie.
              OK, now I get where the confusion comes from and I am really sorry about it. I did not mention or emphasize enough, that the 3 battery clip harness is the current and temporary state of things and I intend to remove it and replace it with the switching solution. My bad. Although I did say that I had the idea of installing a pushpull and making the whole system switchable while I was doing the the 18 V mod with the battery clips and I never mentioned that a switch is installed together with the harness of battery clips. That being said, it looks like it was perfectly clear to Artie from the get-go, so...

Also, a few very minor observations, without the slightest of ill-will:

1.: In case I am confued, I ask for clarification and that usually solves the problem.
              2.: While many of us non-native English speakers do have a decent grip on the language, that very fact may be quite decieving and cause misunderstanding.
              3.: What is straightforward for me, might be confusing to others. Completely normal.
              4.: If something sounds confusing to me, that doesn't mean that it is indeed confusing. There is a possibility that I just did not read it carefully.

Rant over, let's get back to discssing things that matter. shall we? Discussing semantics is for is for grumpy old professors of literature, not for music and guitar enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Actually, the 3rd battery clip is a quik-'n-dirty way to connect the other two together without soldering. It just "snaps" the others together. I'll see if I can find the article that shows this technique.
                Here. as I mentioned in the original post: "I made a small harness of 3 battery clips wired in series and installed the two batteries, this way making the mod "solderless""

Click image for larger version

Name:	3clips.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	5818316

Comment

2.: While many of us non-native English speakers do have a decent grip on the language, that very fact may be quite decieving and cause misunderstanding.
                  I didn't realize til you said this, that English wasn't your 1st language. You do it well.

Here. as I mentioned in the original post: "I made a small harness of 3 battery clips wired in series and installed the two batteries, this way making the mod "solderless""
                  Thanks for the good pic. That saves me finding the article.

Comment

Yes, your English is very good. I hope you weren't offended by any of our posts.

Like you, my second language is also English (of course my first language is English too).

Comment

So here goes the update: I failed . Miserably.

All went well wiring the push/pull: 18 V when down, 9 V when pulled up. I got so excited that I started to put everything in a hurry. Quick soldering, cable into the guitar aaaand nothing. Stepped on the dirt pedal and a weak signal with a slight drive. Started measuring everything, checking each and every solderjoint. Even swapped back the original wiring and pot, but the thing still beahved like it had no power supply, even when the the battery was attached. So when all else failed, hot went directly to the jack. Still nothing. In went another active EMG and ta-da: output is huge again and eevrything is working. After a thorough headscratching it turns out that the only thing I dod not check was the polarity of the current and managed mess up the push/pull wiring and supplied poor EMGs with reverse current, which apparently fried the electronics the very instant I plugged the cable in and closed the circuit... DDD One coil gives a very weak signal, the other one is silent, a bit more so than it is originally intended.

It was a great ride and awesome learning experence, albeit a bit on the pricey side... Still, thanks for the help guys!

@Doc: Sure, all is good. At times I can get pretty irritated for no reason and ignore the very observations I made a few posts above.

Comment

Glad you got it working. Sorry you fried a pup. I'm surprised that active pups don't have reverse voltage protection. It only requires one diode, although it would cost a volt internally.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                          Glad you got it working. Sorry you fried a pup. I'm surprised that active pups don't have reverse voltage protection. It only requires one diode, although it would cost a volt internally.
                          Never mind, never really bonded with EMGs anyway. That being said, I had another set laying around and popped in those. The failure bothers me more than the material loss. There is one thing I cannot wrap my head around though. On your diagram, why do you make a connection between lugs B and D (center left and upper right)?

Comment

It's how you connect the positive and negative together. It's the typical way that's done in guitar series/parallel wiring. The fact that it's two batteries, rather than two coils, doesn't matter. In the following diagram, both sides are electrically identical.

Name:	series_parallel_battery3.png
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	5818336

In parallel, both electrical contacts are needed. In series, only one is needed, but they both move internally in unison.
                            Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-27-2020, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Makes sense... Though I found some diagrams for the same problem making no connection between those lugs, that's why I asked. I'm trying to figure out where I managed to reverse the polarity before I try to fry another set of EMGs...

Name:	Active-Pickups-DPDT.jpg
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	5818348

Comment

That diagram is wrong. It won't work in the 18-volt position because there's no connection between the red and black wires in the series mode. The jumper I've added must be installed for that to work.

Name:	Active-Pickups-DPDT2.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	5818349

Comment

Working...
                                X