Anti-Scales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anti-Scales

I have an understanding of how to use altered scales on dominant chords. The ones I use the most are diminished whole tone aka melodic minor a half step above the root of the dominant chord, or whole tone, in addition to mixolydian which isn't altered. On the list to do is get my diminished scales together. I know how to use the half whole diminished scale over a dominant chord because the scale degrees go 1,b2,b3,3,#4,5,6,b7. Has all the tones of an altered dominant chord. Just thinking about how to use the tonality of the whole half diminished scale since it doesn't fit any usual chords besides diminished. Could stick it on a minor chord for an out sound.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-26-2020, 01:43 AM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
      Could stick it on a minor chord for an out sound.
      Yup, sounds baller like that.

I bought them for you

Comment

Great stuff in this thread!

Finally had time to squeeze a more constructed piece. (Well lead, the only part that incorporates anti-scale idea partially is a messy improvisation but anyway...) Also got to break out my new sm57. Set it up as stereo with my old B&O mic, as it seemed to sound better than just either in mono.

"So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          BTW, there are a ton of mode based blogs here on the SD site for anyone wanting to learn more about them. I wrote them, and tried to explain everything in a very clear way.
          Believe it or not, not everyone has the wherewithal to study theories, and it is boring eventhough the reward can change your life. Peope would rather talk about new gear, pickup, tone chasing cause it involces purchasing and trying out new stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
            Just thinking about how to use the tonality of the whole half diminished scale since it doesn't fit any usual chords besides diminished. Could stick it on a minor chord for an out sound.
            Can you just not use regular minor chord and not worry about every damn note in the scale has to fit the chord tones? Or maybe an augmented slash chord like in the key of F, Eaug/F (E,D#,C) but still there is 5 in the chord so theoretically it is wrong but realistically it works cause it resolves to C.

Comment

Uh huh I thought it sounded good over a tonic minor. I just played it over an F-6.
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                Believe it or not, not everyone has the wherewithal to study theories, and it is boring eventhough the reward can change your life. Peope would rather talk about new gear, pickup, tone chasing cause it involces purchasing and trying out new stuff.
                I actually really like reading theoretical stuff. If I just had a time to really delve in.
                "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  BTW, there are a ton of mode based blogs here on the SD site for anyone wanting to learn more about them. I wrote them, and tried to explain everything in a very clear way.
                  I've read and learned a lot from those articles. Didn't realize that you were the guy writing them Mincer, thanks!
                  Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                  This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                    I've read and learned a lot from those articles. Didn't realize that you were the guy writing them Mincer, thanks!
                    Pretty much every music theory article on here is something I wrote. At the time, there was no one else writing about anything like that on here. I am happy they were of some use to you!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Is this something like what we have been discussing?

Comment

Anybody remember this little gem?

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          Anybody remember this little gem?
                          Their 2 albums together were magic.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

For someone who plays totally by ear & does'nt really stick to scales or keys or modes or w/e (I just play what comes from within w/o thinking about how or why ) this anti-scale thing comes pretty naturally..

Pretty sure this is the sort of thing you're talking about.. (@4:20)

"Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

...or here @ 4:40 onwards..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Pretty sure the run @ 1:40 would qualify here too..

...& probably a lot of the other runs too

A little weird dissonance is always a nice thing to me

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                                X