Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's used Five-Two's?

Sounds like a Dr. Seuss book.

I was just looking through my pups, and noticed that I have a Five-Two Strat pup. But I've never installed it yet. I also notice that Duncan has a Five-Two Tele set. These don't seem to get talked about much. Who's used these? What's the tonal impact of the A5/A2 mag combo?

Re: Who's used Five-Two's?

Who's used five twos
    Can they play the rock and blues
    Can you give us any clues
    Seymour Duncan forum dudes

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

I have used the five two in my start. I really like them as they seem to have the right amount of highs, mods, and bass. They pair really well with split humbuckers. Currently I use one in the middle with the aps-2 in the neck and bridge. I like how they pair with a warmer single coil, sort of like Mark knopfler on the making movies album. Wish I could play like him. I haven't tried the Tele set yet but it is on my radar.

Comment

I guess I should install this thing. The Tele set sounds intriguing.

Comment

I've got a Five-Two Tele bridge pickup, paired with a Psyclone vintage in my Tele. It's a really sweet sounding combo, with enough growl in the bridge without being harsh and a very flutey neck pickup. I only have the bridge pickup wired to the tone control.

Click image for larger version

Name:	65748844_10157518257977053_82140077009928192_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	5818293

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Wow! That's sweet. I'd love to hear clips of that. But since I don't post my own, I really can't beg.

Comment

I don't have any clips, but if I can find some video of me playing it live, I'll upload it.

Comment

I use one in the middle of my Warmoth. This is the weirdo wiring I came up with. I like warmer Strat sounds, so the Five Two solves the issue of the 'icepicky' highs that I don't like. And the bass notes still sound like a grand piano.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

That looks like a cool wiring scheme. I just may have to try that. I have all the pups already, except my humbucker isn't the hybrid. How critical is that to the tone your getting. I was thinking of using a Custom Custom. (Mainly because it's what I have in stock.) Also, when you say "serial link of neck pickup", I assume you mean the Stack's red wire?

Did you use the RWRP Five-two, or the regular one?

Edit: I started a new thread on this wiring scheme and guitar.
                  Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-23-2020, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Watching this thread. I've been thinking about replacing my STL-1 with a Five-Two to tame the top end a bit. without losing the snap on the bottom.
                    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
                      Watching this thread. I've been thinking about replacing my STL-1 with a Five-Two to tame the top end a bit. without losing the snap on the bottom.
                      Mine replaced a Broadcaster.

Comment

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                        Mine replaced a Broadcaster.
                        Can you describe the difference between the Broadcaster and Five-Two?

Comment

BTW, a Custom Custom is also a great choice.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            Can you describe the difference between the Broadcaster and Five-Two?
                            The Broadcaster is a classic snarly Tele pickup, pokey and twangy. The Five-Two isn't as hot, and is definitely smoother while still retaining a nice twangy low end.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              BTW, a Custom Custom is also a great choice.
                              I've been looking for a project for this, and doing "your" Strat, sounds like a good project.

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
                              The Broadcaster is a classic snarly Tele pickup, pokey and twangy. The Five-Two isn't as hot, and is definitely smoother while still retaining a nice twangy low end.
                              Thanks. Now I wonder how the JD fits in there. I'm familiar with it, but I have a Broadcaster sitting on the shelf that I'd like to hear. I wish it wasn't such a PITA changing the bridge pup on a Tele.

Comment

Working...
                              X