What is the purpose of using a mixer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of using a mixer?

I recently sold my POD HD Pro X and I invested in a Marshall DSL5. It's my understanding that in order for me to record now I will need to take a cord and go from the emulated line out on the back of the amp into a mixer. And then I guess I connect the mixer to my sound card.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the mixer. Is it essential?

I don't know that much about recording this way so I need to learn.

Re: What is the purpose of using a mixer?

will it plug into your sound card

most people use mixers for the USB uplink

if you are doing quarter inch in, then go head and use that
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

If you were recording several things at once (guitars, vocals, bass, etc), I could see using a mixer. But just one thing, nope- just give the audio interface the signal it needs from the amp...usually a speaker compensated out.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
        If you were recording several things at once (guitars, vocals, bass, etc), I could see using a mixer. But just one thing, nope- just give the audio interface the signal it needs from the amp...usually a speaker compensated out.
        I will only be recording my guitar. So I could go from emulated line out directly into my sound card?

But wouldn't the mixer be used to set the gain level coming into my recording software?

Comment

Your control panel for your sound card can probably set that level. Your amp might also have control over the volume of that signal.

Comment

I plug my guitar or bass directly into a USB audio interface. I used to use a mixer with a S/PDIF output, but now I just go direct. I use amp plugins, but you can take the line out from your amp and do the same thing.

Some amps, like my Marshall Code100 can act as an interface. So I only need to plug the amp’s USB into my computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
              I plug my guitar or bass directly into a USB audio interface. I used to use a mixer with a S/PDIF output, but now I just go direct. I use amp plugins, but you can take the line out from your amp and do the same thing.

Some amps, like my Marshall Code100 can act as an interface. So I only need to plug the amp’s USB into my computer.

Then there is USB interfaces and who knows which one to buy. My sound card is the EMU 1212m which is a very good sound card but unfortunately it comes with something called PatchMix. I have never used it to record or set any recording levels. I find it bewildering. I've only used it to set the volume of my desktop speakers.

Comment

When people ask me which audio interface to get to plug in their guitar and drum machine

I always tell them the best value is a small mixer
                And use the usb out as the interface

But most folks want to ave everything connected, all the time
                They dont want to go plugging and unplugging cables

Just the convenience of sitting down and hitting go
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I had a firewire interface for a long time, but most computers aren't using firewire anymore. I just bought a Steinberg UR22c, which uses USB3. Sounds great to me.

Comment

What is the purpose of using a mixer?

Originally posted by 357mag View Post
                    Then there is USB interfaces and who knows which one to buy. My sound card is the EMU 1212m which is a very good sound card but unfortunately it comes with something called PatchMix. I have never used it to record or set any recording levels. I find it bewildering. I've only used it to set the volume of my desktop speakers.
                    I bought a Behringer UMC22. It has two inputs. The first one has a U-Phoria mic pre, and the second is a high Z input for passive guitars. I sometimes use input 1 with bass. The lower impedance fattens it up. It has a headphone amp with direct monitoring if you need that. It wasn’t expensive, and it sounds very good.

I’m recording into Logic Pro X on a 2015 iMac. I also use Cubase and ProTools, so it works with any DAW software.

Here’s a track I recorded on my old iMac, which was 10 years old!

I multitracked all the instruments. The vocals were recorded on a MacBook Pro at my singer’s house. Right in her living room. [emoji2] She used my Russian Oktava mic into a Steinberg interface. Also not that expensive.

If I were recording a live band I’d use an interface with more inputs. Or a digital mixer. But for the way I record this works fine. You don’t need a lot of money these days.

All the mixing and effects were done “in the box.” All the amps and effects you hear are plugins.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Comment

I use the 1820m (patch mix as well) for my interface. 16 years and still going strong! (I had to replace the power caps, though).

If you have any questions about this gear or patchmix, start a new thread and I'll jump in.

Comment

I recently sold my POD HD Pro X and I invested in a Marshall DSL5. It's my understanding that in order for me to record now I will need to take a cord and go from the emulated line out on the back of the amp into a mixer. And then I guess I connect the mixer to my sound card.

I'm not sure I understand the purpose of the mixer. Is it essential?

I don't know that much about recording this way so I need to learn.
                        The mixer makes it more convenient to adjust levels (maybe EQ, too) and to put studio style effects (in the mixer's effect path), but there is no reason why you cannot go directly from amp line out to computer line in.

You could also have a USB-enabled mixer that you use instead of your soundcard. That makes quite a bit of sense quality wise, but obviously it costs more than just using a soundcard you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                          The mixer makes it more convenient to adjust levels (maybe EQ, too) and to put studio style effects (in the mixer's effect path), but there is no reason why you cannot go directly from amp line out to computer line in.

You could also have a USB-enabled mixer that you use instead of your soundcard. That makes quite a bit of sense quality wise, but obviously it costs more than just using a soundcard you already have.
                          If you’re using a DAW, especially at home, it makes more sense to record dry and use plugins, since you can change them later. Same with EQ.

But mixers are helpful for mixing different sources together.

Comment

Working...
                          X