My thoughts on PRS SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My thoughts on PRS SE

A few months ago, I sold almost all my guitars to buy bass gear. The only guitar I kept was a PRS SE Custom 24. It does whatever I need.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

I have an old SE One with a baseball bat for a neck. It really fits that old junior vibe to a T. New tuners and an Antiquity P90 made it gig or studio ready. Currently have a noiseless P90 in there now because some of the clubs here have awful power.

Comment

Love 'em. I'd kill for a SE One, a Friedman signature model and a Custom 22.
        Their pickups can be a bit uncharacteristic but they're solid instruments, very slick and buttery. I adjust to most neck shapes unless they're horrendous V shaped with vintage 7.25 inch radius. I hate that ****.
        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I started playing PRS SE guitars probably 8 or 9 years ago and have been in love with them ever since. I started with the Mike Mushok baritone and now I'm using the SE 277 baritone. I also have a Clint Lowery signature SE. All these guitars have a wide fat neck, so I can't speak to how the wide thin necks are since I've never played that shape on a PRS before.

For me they are perfect. Super easy to play and they just feel "right" when I'm sitting down or standing up with them. I do prefer the plate style bridge that the baritone SE guitars have rather than the wrap around bridges on their other non-trem guitars.

Comment

I've loved PRS guitars since I got my first in 1987. I have a number of them now, but that first is still the one I turn to most often. One of my favorite axes ever.

I had a 30th Anniversary SE that was great at the price, no flaws in build quality except that the stock pickups were less than stellar. (Not a big fan of the HFS/VB set even on the core series guitars.)
            "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

I really like the guitar at the top. I'd just have to have a floyd and satanic looking goat head inlays instead of the birds.
              The 25" scale and the wide-thin necks are my utopia.

Comment

I've got an SE Custom 24 I've had for a number of years now, and the only - ONLY - thing I dislike strongly about it is that when you sit with it, the ass-end of the guitar is so large that it likes to slide off my leg, and holding it against my body by force with my picking arm is not super fun. If not for that, the guitar is insane for the money. The finishes on those new sand-blasted models look amazing, though. Right up my alley.

Comment

Originally posted by gh0styboi View Post
                  I've got an SE Custom 24 I've had for a number of years now, and the only - ONLY - thing I dislike strongly about it is that when you sit with it, the ass-end of the guitar is so large that it likes to slide off my leg, and holding it against my body by force with my picking arm is not super fun. If not for that, the guitar is insane for the money. The finishes on those new sand-blasted models look amazing, though. Right up my alley.
                  So ergonomically, they didn't think that through. That wouldn't work for me at all.
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like my Custom 22, but I don't love it. I think it needs a set of pickups more suited to it, because right now it doesn't have the snap and nice top end I hear when I play it acoustically, and it doesn't have that tight, thick punch of my Les Paul, which I do love. I also can't just take the strap from the LP and put it on the PRS and feel like it's in the right spot. I suppose a new strap could fix that problem too. That being said, I bought it for a song and love how it looks. Upper fret access blew me away in comparison as well, but it still is just not my number one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      So ergonomically, they didn't think that through. That wouldn't work for me at all.
                      Ola Englund has that same problem with a Tremonti in a recent video he posted.

I've never had that problem with a PRS, personally. My problem is the 10" fretboard, LOL.

Comment

Working...
                      X