Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HH 5 way switch:possible error and suggestion

Hello all

I recently transformed a HSH guitar into a HH guitar with a set sentient pegasus and, recycling original the 5 switch selector, I decided to implement the diagram on the SD site:
    Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

when I finished all the soldering i tried it out and the sound coming out of the pickups was extremely muddy and both knobs were acting as volume!!

I then looked at the SD diagram for HH and a thee way switch and I noted that the wring for the two knobs is completely different.
    I implemented as it is on the 3 way switch and now it works like a charm.
    Is there an error in the 5 switch diagram?

I'd also like to soggest to those who would like to implement it, to completely switch the way both pickups are connected to the switch, simply connect the bridge as the neck and vice versa. This will give the following selection:
    1) neck hum
    2) neck hum + bridge hum
    3) bridge hum
    4) splitted neck hum + splitted bridge hum
    5) splitted neck hum

I personally thinks the splitted neck is more useful than a splitted bridge.

Kikkauz

Re: HH 5 way switchossible error and suggestion

Originally posted by Kikkauz View Post
    Hello all

I recently transformed a HSH guitar into a HH guitar with a set sentient pegasus and, recycling original the 5 switch selector, I decided to implement the diagram on the SD site:
    Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

when I finished all the soldering i tried it out and the sound coming out of the pickups was extremely muddy and both knobs were acting as volume!!

I then looked at the SD diagram for HH and a thee way switch and I noted that the wring for the two knobs is completely different.
    I implemented as it is on the 3 way switch and now it works like a charm.
    Is there an error in the 5 switch diagram?

I'd also like to soggest to those who would like to implement it, to completely switch the way both pickups are connected to the switch, simply connect the bridge as the neck and vice versa. This will give the following selection:
    1) neck hum
    2) neck hum + bridge hum
    3) bridge hum
    4) splitted neck hum + splitted bridge hum
    5) splitted neck hum

I personally thinks the splitted neck is more useful than a splitted bridge.

Kikkauz
    I studied this diagram last summer, and did not notice then that the tone pot is wired in a weird way. Yes, it does seem like it is sending the Hot signal to ground, with a cap as a filter.... i think that would make that tone pot act like a volume pot instead of a tone pot, like you experienced.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_090807.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	22.8 KB
ID:	5818314

Following is how a tone pot should be connected to a volume pot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_091906.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	5818315

Also, i agree that having the neck pickup split is more valuable than having the bridge pickup split - especially when the coil left active for the bridge pickup is the screw coil which would sound shrill because it is closest to the bridge. Good modification of the diagram - thank you sharing that to the group!
    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 02-23-2020, 08:23 AM.
    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

Originally posted by kingswebe View Post
      I studied this diagram last summer, and did not notice then that the tone pot is wired in a weird way. Yes, it does seem like it is sending the Hot signal to ground, with a cap as a filter.... i think that would make that tone pot act like a volume pot instead of a tone pot, like you experienced.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103469[/ATTACH]

Following is how a tone pot should be connected to a volume pot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103470[/ATTACH]

Also, i agree that having the neck pickup split is more valuable than having the bridge pickup split - especially when the coil left active for the bridge pickup is the screw coil which would sound shrill because it is closest to the bridge. Good modification of the diagram - thank you sharing that to the group!
      Yes, i connected the tone and the volume as per the second picture you put.
      Thanks to you for approving my choices!

Comment

That's one way to do it, there are many. Also, that way is called "modern tone". By moving the connecting wire from the tone pot to the vol pot to the middle, or output lug, you will have "50's tone", which keeps more highs as the vol pot is turned down.

Yes, that first SD diagram is incorrect. the wire to the tone pot should have gone to the first lug of the tone pot, not the middle lug.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

If you find this arrangement counterintuitive (I do), then you can research the 5-way superswitch and Schaller MegaSwitch. They can give you full bridge in 1, full neck in 2, then a variety options in between.

Good catch on the diagram. Now who do we contact to correct it on the server?
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
            If you find this arrangement counterintuitive (I do), then you can research the 5-way superswitch and Schaller MegaSwitch. They can give you full bridge in 1, full neck in 2, then a variety options in between.

Good catch on the diagram. Now who do we contact to correct it on the server?
            I find it counterintuitive too but I have the sounds I want.
            I evaluated the super switch but I modified a steinberger spirit and the cavity is very small.

Comment

Working...
            X