banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey Mincer: Can we talk about your HSS Strat?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Mincer: Can we talk about your HSS Strat?

Hey Dave. I hadn't seen this article until you linked to it in my "Five-Two" thread. This looks like an intriguing project, but I have a few questions and didn't want to completely derail the other thread.

Did you use the RWRP Five-Two?
    Which coil of the 59/Custom hybrid do you split to?
    How do you like YJM pot?

Also, I notice that the StewMac Megaswitch E is completely different than the one on Schallers own website. Which did you use?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Megaswitch_E_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	5853548

Thanks man. I'm going to do one of these. Probably more questions to come.

Artie

Re: Hey Mincer: Can we talk about your HSS Strat?

I've reread that article, and have probably answered a couple of my questions. It looks like the Megaswitch needs an RWRP neck. So I'm guessing the Five-Two is normal wrap. Also, I see that the Megaswitch splits to both coils, depending on the switch position.

I also noticed that that bridge/tremolo you configured cost more than many of my guitars.
    But looks sweet.

Comment

Haha, yeah. When doing that project, I had to get a middle rw/rp Classic Stack for the neck. The switch does all the heavy lifting here. As far as the bridge goes, I didn't intend to spend that much, but Warmoth helped out (a lot!!) on the price of the body and neck that I could divert some $$ over to a bridge like that. Those Bladerunners were new at the time, and I wanted to see how they work. They work really well! Stays in tune (with Graph Tech saddles). The only mod I did since the article is replace the Graph Tech nut (which was cut too low from the factory). It has a bone nut now.
      As far as the pots, I use YJMs because I use my pots all the time, both tone and volume. So I am constantly swelling stuff- if your style is more 'set and forget', then they wouldn't have an advantage. The switch I use in the above pic is the one on the left. I don't remember where I got it, though.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-0265.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	5818317
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Ah. I priced the bridge with the Babicz saddles. That raised the price considerably. I'll do more research on the switch, but may end up using a Superswitch, since I'm more familiar with it.

Now, I just gotta figure out what axe to use.

And yes, I'm a set it and forget it kinda guy.

Comment

By the way, how do like that trem, now that you've played with it awhile? That's yet another guitar product that I'd never heard of before 'til you posted this project in my Five-Two thread.

Comment

I have to say that it is the smoothest Strat style I've ever used. I have it set to pull up 1/2 step. While I generally don't do dive bombs, I do use the trem a lot, and there is no slop, grittiness, clunking, anything. It is a very direct feel from hand to pitch change.

Comment

Nice. I'm looking at them now. Pricey, but appear to be well worth it. Especially with the Babicz saddles.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                Nice. I'm looking at them now. Pricey, but appear to be well worth it. Especially with the Babicz saddles.
                Yeah, I went with Graph Tech, but I bet the Babicz saddles are wonderful, too.

Comment

Didn't want to derail the thread but since OP has already done so
                  I'm looking to replace the Sung-Il bridge in my LTD ST-213, cannot find a lot of options for 2 1/16" string spacing. Looking for a Fender Standard Vintage bridge (very affordable with a good block now) but also thinking that it might be better to put a very good bridge and finish upgrading that guitar once and for all (already changed Grover tuners, Graphtec nut, SD pickups, CTS pots, CRL switch, Switchcraft jack). I'm not a heavy trem user, do you think the Fender Standard bridge ($30) can do it or should I ditch the money and get the Bladerunner ($200 and good reviews)?

Comment

Originally posted by donaldr View Post
                    Didn't want to derail the thread but since OP has already done so
                    Oh, thank God, this isn't a two person thread. I can't answer your question, but hopefully, someone will be along that will.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I have to say that it is the smoothest Strat style I've ever used. I have it set to pull up 1/2 step. While I generally don't do dive bombs, I do use the trem a lot, and there is no slop, grittiness, clunking, anything. It is a very direct feel from hand to pitch change.
                      Two part blade-based tremolos are the smoothest design I've used by far. I have a Vegatrem that has almost all the range and stability of a Floyd, but is even smoother than a Bigbsy.
                      You will never understand How it feels to live your life With no meaning or control And with nowhere left to go You are amazed that they exist And they burn so bright
                      Whilst you can only wonder why

Comment

Are there clips anywhere of this setup?
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          Are there clips anywhere of this setup?
                          Nope. But lets see if we can intimidate Mincer into doing some.

Edit: Oh wait. I take that back. If he does some. Then I have to do some. Lets dial that back.
                          Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-24-2020, 07:53 PM.

Comment

I'll put it on the list of stuff I have to get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                              I'll put it on the list of stuff I have to get to.
                              I'm working up the courage to do a clip.

Comment

Working...
                              X