Volume Pot Grounding Issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume Pot Grounding Issues

Im putting some Phat Cats in my HH Tele and Im having strange issues with the volume pot.

Ive got everything wired following the Seymour Duncan Standard Tele diagram (since they dont seem to have a diagram for the Phat Cats with 1 volume and 1 Tone). Everything seems to be working fine and Im getting appropriate ohms to my output jack and continuity checks seem to go well. The only issue is the volume pot isnt doing much of anything at all. My output is very noisey and rolling the volume all the way down doesnt reduce the volume much at all. Rolling it up doesnt seem to affect the volume either but it does, strangely enough, reduce the noise quite a lot. Ive redone the soldering on the grounded lug of the volume pot several times to try to solve this issue but it persists.

The strange thing is, if I plug my guitar into my audio interface with the volume rolled all the way down and listen to the output while I resolder the grounded lug, I can hear the output ground out to zero when I reheat the solder and it will even stay like that for 10-30 seconds before the noise suddenly creeps back in and I get output at zero again. During this time I can even roll the volume up and down and it acts correctly for those 10-30 seconds.

Re: Volume Pot Grounding Issues

Got the correct wires to the output jack...hot to tip, ground to sleeve?

Good clear closeup pics of your control cavity showing all connections could help.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Re: Volume Pot Grounding Issues

Definitely have the output jack wires correct.

I don’t know why but your comment made me look further into how to solder the braided pickup wires on the Phat Cats and I think I’ve done it wrong. Not sure if that’s what could be causing the volume pot issue or not but I think I need to take another go at it.

Comment

Working...
      X