banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Shot...Has anyone played a JB/59 hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long Shot...Has anyone played a JB/59 hybrid?

I recently discovered that the SD Custom Shop makes a proper JB/59 hybrid bridge pickup for certain ESP "Exhibition" series guitars, which are beautiful, but terribly expensive.

Has anyone here ever made or tried a JB/59 hybrid? I tried searching, but there wasn't really anything about it.

Videos of the ESP guitars sound pretty awesome! The JB/59 hybrid seems to have a tight response with plenty of sparkle up top and the right amount of sizzle/rudeness/attitude (whatever you want to call it, ha ha!)

I'm especially curious how the JB/59 compares to the 59/Custom hybrid. I know asking about such an uncommon pickup like this is a total shot in the dark.

Several other hybrid discussion threads suggested that the JB and 59 were simply "too far apart" to make a decent hybrid, but, after hearing these clips, I'm thinking peeps be crazy...

Re: Long Shot...Has anyone played a JB/59 hybrid?

This is why I don't post clips.

Comment

Wasn’t there a guy here recently that had that pickup? Iirc, he didn’t like it.
      He contacted me about buying it from him (I had previously told him I might be interested) but the shipping from Europe was too much.
      That said, I’m not 100% sure it was a JB/59.....it was a JB something though....maybe a JB/Custom?

Comment

It was a JB/Custom.

I'm sure a JB/59 would be terrif. Also cermag has A2,3,4,5,8 double thick mags for sale on their site now. They're 2.5 pounds and shipping is 13.5 pounds. So I spent $25 for 2 mags. Not exactly an arm and a leg.
        The things that you wanted
        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
          It was a JB/Custom.

I'm sure a JB/59 would be terrif. Also cermag has A2,3,4,5,8 double thick mags for sale on their site now. They're 2.5 pounds and shipping is 13.5 pounds. So I spent $25 for 2 mags. Not exactly an arm and a leg.
          Yeah, I thought so. Couldn’t remember 100% though.

Comment

Call it an educated guess, but I'm betting the JB/59 is a totally different beast than the JB/Custom. I haven't played a JB/Custom, but the JB/59 in those videos seems like a more open sounding JB or a slightly more compressed '59, which are both good directions in my opinion.

The JB/59 sounds like it would be right at home in my chambered swamp ash, maple neck, Floyded super-Strat.

On a side note, I'm still waiting for someone to make a JB/Demon hybrid like I inquired about a few months ago.

Comment

I have a JB/Super D which is similar. The Super D has the hex poles and a kind of scooped wind. I think it's great. I think you're right about the comparison.
              The things that you wanted
              I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                Call it an educated guess, but I'm betting the JB/59 is a totally different beast than the JB/Custom. I haven't played a JB/Custom, but the JB/59 in those videos seems like a more open sounding JB or a slightly more compressed '59, which are both good directions in my opinion.
                That evaluation sounds about right. There could also be a bit more hum from a 59/JB due to the mismatched outputs of the coils. But, that would never bother me. I've made many different hybrids, not the 59/JB however, but the hum in any of them was not much. Heck, I play P-90s, any hybrid is going to have less hum that THAT!
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I posted previously about a pickup I wound as an experiment, with one coil as:
                  44AWG, 11.5K

and one as:
                  42AWG, 5.15K

Now, I'm a hobbyist, and *not* Seymour Duncan, so I don't know how or even if this would apply to SD coils, and those are hotter than the JB and '59 coils (which should be about 8.3K and 4.1K, respectively), but that was the pickup with the weird 'comb filtering' going on; almost as if it had two audible resonant peaks.

Again, not equating my crappy, hand-wound stuff to SD stuff, but I'm curious if the JB/'59 would show that same duality to its tone, because of the large mismatch between coils?

Larry

Comment

THIS IS INTERESTING!! In particular seeing Duncan has absolutely ignored and stonewalled us here on the Forum about a neck Hybrid but built the 59/Jazz Hybrid for ESP in this one so??
                    PICKUPSNeck)Seymour Duncan 59/JAZZ Hybrid, (Middle)Seymour Duncan SSL52-1RW, (Bridge)Seymour Duncan 59/JB Hybrid TB
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

SD already did that with the Fuglybucker which didn't go very far. I thought it sounded great, however.
                      Originally Posted by IanBallard
                      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I think the forum has been asking for a more "normal" looking pickup, ha ha!

I wish I had hung onto my Fuglies...

Comment

I'm pretty sure you can order whatever Hybrid you want from the Custom Shop.
                          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The 59 jazz hybrid is a known classic and that works very well. The 59 JB is a horrible, horrible mismatched pickup that picks the 'bad' parts of each and makes one worse pickup. I did it, Never again. I see zero applications for such a tone. What LarryGuitar said, of the seeming two resonant peaks, I heard that too.

I once wrote a lengthy blog post about hybrid pickup recipes.

Hand-crafted electric guitar pickups, acoustic guitar pickups, bass pickups and pedals. Helping musicians find their signature sound since 1976.

In short:

* you don't want to 'skip' a wire gauge. i.e.: 42+43, 43+44. Don't try 42+44. Well, you can, but I wouldn't recommend it. Also, you have to take into consideration what I call the sweet spot of each wire gauge, per coil/bobbin. For 42, that's (around) 4K (oddly enough, 42 can be as low as 3.2 and as high as 4.5 and that really makes a difference!). 43's sweet spot is around 7K and 44 is around 8K.

Now, when you match your coils when using two different wire gaugesyou either want to have coils with both having approximately similar amounts of copper. If you have an underwound 42, you can use for example an overwound 42, but if you use 42+43, I'd recommend either both underwound or overwound or 'sweet spot'. That's why the Seth+Screaming Demon works so well (42+43) but also why the 59/custom (42+43) works really well too.

I don't know why and I lack the instrumentation to make accurate measurements, but jumping gauges or going for the extremes doesn't work. It makes for a honky pickup, sounding nasal and weird and you don't get the best of both worlds.

The SuperDistortion I saw being mentioned here, has 43awg, that's why that pickup sounds so good with a JB coil.

I'm not sure what amp ESP was using in that clip, amps can make a huge difference. But I always try out my guitars and pickup experiments on one little, custom-made amp, that's the most pure sounding amp I've ever heard, to get an honest review of the pickups. Sure, you can try whatever you want, but from my experience, what I heard in real life, the JB/59 hybrid simply sounds 'off'.

Comment

On the other hand, one of my favorite mods to standard Duncan pups, is to install an Alnico IV to a JB. it gives the notes bloom, it makes the leads howl and tightens up the lower mids, removes the upper mid spike. It works even better in an Alternative 8, by the way

Comment

Working...
                              X