banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Shot...Has anyone played a JB/59 hybrid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Long Shot...Has anyone played a JB/59 hybrid?

I don't quite understand the logic behind avoiding "skipping a wire gauge". If a pickup like the JB/59 hybrid sounded terrible, I don't think ESP would use them exclusively in their $10,000 guitars!

Get Your Hands On This Stunning One-Of-A-Kind Guitar - The ESP Custom Shop Snapper NAMM 2020 Exhibition Limited Guitar In Black Pink w/ Blue Resin As a pioneer in custom ordering, the Exhibition Limited series is based on a wealth of experience and knowledge that has been used to actually produce...

Comment

The 59 JB is a horrible, horrible mismatched pickup that picks the 'bad' parts of each and makes one worse pickup.

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by GrilledChickenSalad View Post
        Yes.
        Thank you for your deeply insightful post, as always.

Again, if it sounds like a "horrible, horrible mismatched pickup" and only "picks up the bad parts of each" to make a "worse pickup", then why the **** is ESP using them in their most prestigious guitars?

Orpheo, I have a TON of respect for you and I always value your input, so I'm inclined to trust you on this, but are you sure both coils were working when you made the hybrid?

Comment

Nope

And

The 59 JB is a horrible, horrible mismatched pickup that picks the 'bad' parts of each and makes one worse pickup.

Yes

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            Thank you for your deeply insightful post, as always.

Again, if it sounds like a "horrible, horrible mismatched pickup" and only "picks up the bad parts of each" to make a "worse pickup", then why the **** is ESP using them in their most prestigious guitars?

Orpheo, I have a TON of respect for you and I always value your input, so I'm inclined to trust you on this, but are you sure both coils were working when you made the hybrid?
            haha, yes my man. I really tried to like this pickup. I never test such a pickup in just 1 guitar but in more; strats, LP's, SG/V/Xplorer, so I understand its characteristics best. It just sounded honky, very nasal.

The logic? I bet there is a quantifiable reason behind it but I don't have the tools to test. What my guess is, is that the capacitance and inductance per coil are too different, too far apart from one another, so you get weird harmonics and weird cancelations across the spectrum

As to why ESP would choose to opt for that pickup? Man, no idea. I wouldn't ever choose that and I haven't ever since. I know that once I decided that a 42+44 awg hybrid wasn't for me, I never tried it again.

I have to admit, though, that I am in doubt as to the validity of that listing. That listing seems an exact copy from the description of that clip you posted (or vice versa) and I'm simply ascribing this to an error in the listing I see no other way to make sense of it, haha. But I have listened to the clip and despite the heavy gain and substantial processing in production, I can hear the honky, woody, slightly nasal tone I didn't like. But lots of gain and a clip can mask a lot.

But don't take my word for it of course. I wouldn't mind to hear you say, hey man good talking but you were wrong on this one, I for one love this pickup.

Comment

it has that wah-halfway-open kinda tone I really, REALLY do not like. Some pickups simply sound that way and I don't care for it. I am digging in my mind to find more descriptions, but what I do remember is that it was quite 'liquid' in its feel, it felt articulate with enough 'sag', but I also remember that cocked-wah tone which turned me off. I liked the openness, the woody character. It felt very direct, open, broad but it had a dip in the upper mids which made it sound nasal, honky. To get into this ballpark of a tone, but with a more open midrange, to break open that upper mids without being so spikey, and also being in that medium modern but with a vintage feel vibe, I made the Pearly Gates/Custom Alnico II. That pickup matched much better to my ears and it felt as if my guitar had a cold before and then all its sinuses were cleared.

Hope that helps?

Comment

I hope I understand the question correctly. but as a dimarzio? No. My hybrid versus dimarzio pickups featuring their dual resonance patent, have the same basic idea but lack that dimarzio vibe, which I attribute to cheaper parts and a brass baseplate instead of nickel silver. That makes a huge difference.

I make hybrids either to sound amazing on their own, often to improve an existing pickup. Or I make a hybrid specifically to have great tones when each coil is run independently.

For your needs, can't say, man. What styles do you play? What control setup, what guitar, what amount, what bridge. It all matters.

However, as it stands, if I had to choose right now with a hint to my head. I'd say:

Bridge: sh6n/screaming demon hybrid
                Neck: 59B/jazzB hybrid.

The bridge pickup is tight, has coils that are fairly different but underwound (don't misconstrue that for being weak or low output in this case) so when split to either coil you get a slightly scooped, cleaner sound. But the coils are different enough that when you pick one or the other you get a distinct tonal difference. This neck pickup is imho the ultimate. it's clear and can be bright but sounds great on it's own or split. works great with a tone pot too.

Comment

I trust your experience, Orpheo, especially when it comes to hybrids. I appreciate your last few posts especially. They helped clarify what you meant earlier and I can see why YOU, in particular, wouldn't really dig the JB/59 hybrid.

I think the honkiness or exaggerated vocality (a new word!) of the JB/59 hybrid is what makes it sound really cool. In the bridge sections of the clips I posted, it's like an aggressive country-inspired tone, sort of punchy and twangy at the same time, and also sort of DiMarzio-ish in the "aw" department, if that makes sense. In this video, when he plays the bridge pickup, I'm heavily reminded of earlier Joe Satriani when he was using the FRED:

Comment

I really like the sound of the JB/'59 bridge in that vid. It would be interesting to hear it in isolation, because I bet it sounds kinda ugly on it's own . . . but it sits really nicely in the mix.
                    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                      I really like the sound of the JB/'59 bridge in that vid. It would be interesting to hear it in isolation, because I bet it sounds kinda ugly on it's own . . . but it sits really nicely in the mix.
                      That's exactly what I was thinking, as well. This probably isn't a pickup that's going to sound at its best sitting in a room by itself or comparing it to other guitars, but it sure sounds baller in a mix!

Comment

I would think a JB/59 would be so mismatched that the 59 coil wouldn’t buck the JB coil’s hum.
                        “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

I did one way back when we all were experimenting...

It's been more than 16 years... It was in the old forum I think. So... I don't remember much, apart from not caring for it. The one I loved was a 59b-screw and Demon coil that corresponds to the slug coil in PAFs... That was like a beefed up tele which I loved a lot. I wish that I've kept it.

B
                          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Bump for JB6464

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
                              Bump for JB6464
                              Thanks for the bump read !

Comment

Working...
                              X