Hybrid coil exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hybrid coil exchange

I’m curious if anybody has thought of making a pickup coil exchange where they advertise a coil in exchange for a coil of a different pickup in return. Say if you have a black 6 string trembucker custom and you offer the slug coil for a black 6 string trembucker 59 slug coil or something. I think it would motivate people who have old unused pickups to venture into making hybrids and whatnot.

Re: Hybrid coil exchange

Originally posted by Bowtomecha View Post
    I’m curious if anybody has thought of making a pickup coil exchange where they advertise a coil in exchange for a coil of a different pickup in return. Say if you have a black 6 string trembucker custom and you offer the slug coil for a black 6 string trembucker 59 slug coil or something. I think it would motivate people who have old unused pickups to venture into making hybrids and whatnot.
    Good luck with that.

/Peter
    Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
    Kolding, Denmark

Comment

I actually don't think it's a terrible idea on its face. There might not be a lot of takers, but you never know what the true interest is in something like this until you try it.

Comment

In practical terms, it wouldn't be very cost effective. If someone had a pup that they wanted to hybridize so they purchased a single coil to do it, now they have an extra coil (from their original pup) just sitting around. However, if they bought an entire pup, they could make two hybrids and have no "wasted" coils.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Good point. Plus, if I was tearing apart a like-new JB, for instance, I'd want to trade for another like-new coil in turn, which might be difficult.

Comment

Nothing wrong with posting what you have and what you want in the Trading Post. If others have what you need, you can negotiate a deal.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X