Wiring Gurus Needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Gurus Needed!

Hello all! So I have my custom wire job all mocked up for my latest project, and I have a quick question

I'd like to opt out of having any toggle switch at all on my h/h/h guitar... is there anyway to wire this so that the volumes do not affect each other? There would be a volume pot for each humbucker and a master tone.

The final result will look something like this picture I drew, fingers crossed
    Click image for larger version

Name:	wrhlp.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	5853559

Re: Wiring Gurus Needed!

I just did a customers Epiphone Zephyr that has that exact configuration. (3 P-90's.) You just wire the pickup hot wire to the center terminal of each volume pot. Then connect the non-ground lugs all together and then onto the output jack.
    Last edited by ArtieToo; 02-25-2020, 01:20 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
      I just did a customers Epiphone Zephyr that has that exact configuration. (3 P-90's.) You just wire the pickup hot wire to the center terminal of each volume pot. Then connect the non-ground lugs all together and then onto the output jack.
      Awesome! And this doesn't result in any loss of treble when one volume is all the way down, like decoupling a Les Paul's volume controls?

Comment

There's definitely an interaction. I'm not sure I'd call it a loss of treble. Sort of a cocked wah effect.

Comment

Since that is wired 50's tone with independent volumes, you shouldn't have much loss of treble and very little if any interaction of the volumes.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            To the tone pot and the output jack.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
              To the tone pot and the output jack.
              Yuppers. I missed that part.

Comment

You can only prevent the volume pot interaction by changing impedance. Realistically that means one preamp per pickup, before the volume pot for that pickup.

It sound crazy, but it is what EMG does. The trick is to find small enough gadgets. I suppose you could prepare a single PCB with 3 opamps.

Comment

Working...
                X