Fender Standard vintage tremolo bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Standard vintage tremolo bridge

I'm looking to replace the Sung-Il bridge in my LTD ST-213 but cannot find a lot of options for 2 1/16" string spacing. Looking for a Fender Standard Vintage bridge (very affordable with a good block now) but also thinking that it might be better to put a very good bridge and finish upgrading that guitar once and for all (already changed Grover tuners, Graphtec nut, SD pickups, CTS pots, CRL switch, Switchcraft jack).

I'm not a heavy/regular trem user, do you think the Fender Standard bridge ($30 no review) can do it or should I ditch the money and get the Bladerunner ($200 and good reviews)?
    No offering locally in Canada, even online, I have to order from US websites. I narrowed my choice to the Bladerunner after many online reviews and the price (yeah I checked Vegatrem, MannMan, Rail Tail, Wudtone, etc).

Currently, my bridge is 0.5/1.0mm offset (high E closer to the edge of the neck on the 22nd fred) and the Bladerunner will correct that easily. The downside of the Fender is I preferre a tremolo arm without a tip but I cannot find one for 10/32 thread.
    Last edited by donaldr; 02-25-2020, 01:14 PM.

Re: Fender Standard vintage tremolo bridge

If set up correctly I think the fender bridge will be ok, as long as you are not asking it to dive bomb! You say you are not a heavy trem user so I don't know how much benefit you'd see from a high tech tremolo.

The vintage trem will do a nice wobbly sound all day, just look up all the tips to make them work, mostly lubricating anything that touches the string, using the 2 outside screws and raising the 4 inside ones, having right number of springs for your string gauge, and having a well cut nut will make it very useable

Unless money is no issue... But for a casual user I think the original design is fine!

Comment

Using tremolo in about 0.01% of my playing. The current one (Sung Il) is working well, as I don't dive bomb, just a little tremolo effect here and there. I'm having a new Graphtec nut installed in 2-3 weeks with a pro setup and it's a good time to think about the bridge. It's the block that I don't like: the strings are getting stuck and it's a pain to change strings. And I'm wanting more sustain and better overall sound, hence the questioning if I should go for a better bridge even if I don't use the tremolo much.

There's no review about the Fender Standard vintage bridge and only positive reviews about the Bladerunner (except that it's expensive). Since the guitar is now updated with top of the line components, wondering if the Fender bridge can be on par (not using the trem and only talking about the plate, the saddles and the block).

Comment

You can probably find a Fender stock bridge cheap as many people upgrade that. I don't think splurging for a top of the line one like the Bladerunner makes sense unless trem use is a significant part of your style. Just get a good block, and you can even upgrade the saddles to Graph Tech and you have a great system.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Fender bullet strings are great and get stuck in the block less
          My daddarios get stuck in the block but I deal with it cuz daddarios are a little easier to find and less expensive and good for more than just the strat. Otherwise bullet end is pointless. But if you use the Wang bar they help a little.

Comment

Except GFS there's no steel block available for 52.5mm string spacing with the tremolo hole for imports. My Sung Il BS005 already has bent steel saddles and is staying in tune 100% (decked with 3 springs). GFS block is $22 but the shipping $25!!!!!

Comment

Working...
            X