NGD - Fender Player Series Lead III

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD - Fender Player Series Lead III

First noting that I currently have a lot of balls in the air, so I will be adding to this later.

Here is a front pic of my new Lead III.

Click image for larger version

Name:	playerLeadIII.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	5853561

Like the original Lead Series, it is a three piece body. Cosmetically my neck has one light colored 0.25 inch birdseye, perpendicular to the fretboard running thru to the back of the neck, just inside the low E string between the 13th and 14th frets. The birdseye is not perceptible when playing. The fit and finish are excellent according to my old eyes.

Comparing with my 1981 Lead II:

Lead III weighs 7.0 pounds
    Lead II weighs 9.2 pounds

Based on photos/videos I was seeing an increase in the size of the armrest cut. While there is some, I would prefer more.

Name:	LeadArmrestCuts.jpg
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	5853562

The III belly cut is wider and not as deep. This is likely the trade-off which limited the armrest cut.

Name:	LeadBellyCuts.jpg
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	5853563

It will take some playing time to form an opinion on the new belly cut.

I was impressed with the setup between the factory and the Sweetwater inspections. The neck sights straight with just the slightest amount of relief. There are no sharp fret ends. As for action, there is no fret buzz anywhere on the neck and none of my bends choked; although I'm not a big bender. I took some measurements to compare, but remember my Lead II is a mutt with the '72 Tele Deluxe neck.

Lead III, 9.5 inch radius, 0.009-0.042 strings is 0.080 inch for both low and high E strings.
    Lead II, 12 inch radius, 0.010-0.046 strings is 0.100 inch for low E string and 0.070 inch for high E string.

Next I will get some playing time and see how they compare.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Re: NGD - Fender Player Series Lead III

Cool beans.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

very cool! my bud has an old Lead Series that's got to weigh 11-12lbs, sounds great but it is an anchor
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Wow, 7lbs! I might have to get one of these. I love that color, too!
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I spent a couple hours this evening playing them unplugged, trying to focus on how the bodies and necks compared.

I feel sorry for Wattage's bud who has the 11-12 lbs Lead! My 9.2 lbs Lead II was instantly and obviously heavier than my 7.0 lbs Lead III. It was almost surprising that 2.2 lbs made that much difference, but my back assured me the difference is real.

The Lead III armrest cut is an improvement. My forearm actually falls in my Lead III armrest cut, unlike the miss on my Lead II. Now as time has passed I have been wearing my guitars higher and higher. So those of you who still wear them below your belt might or might not benefit from the larger armrest cut. A side note that yesterday I found a LINK in BeKindRewind's 1991 Strat Plus Trading Post thread which could explain my Lead II having a short armrest cut. The quick quote is "I can tell you that the guitar’s shapes and weights were very inconsistent until Bill Schultz, Dan Smith, Bashar Darcazallie, and others, began their changes in 1982." - Rob Schwarz.

For today's playing, the wider belly cut on my Lead III won.

As for the necks, remember my disclaimer that I have '72 Telecaster Deluxe neck on my Lead II. It is a vintage C shape like the Lead Series had, but the '72 TD has a 12 inch fretboard radius. I am remembering the Lead Series had a 7.25 inch radius. The Lead III has a modern C shape neck and a 9.5 inch fretboard radius. I really could not feel a lot of difference unless I was above the 10th fret playing on the low strings. There my Lead II neck feel fatter than my Lead III neck. Bouncing back and forth between them, there was an initial feeling something was different but it did not throw my playing off and quickly subsided.

The next opportunity I have, I will get a pickup comparison in.

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Is that "Sienna Sunburst"?
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Indeed it is.

I thought the Purple looked cool, but the Sienna Sunburst would pair better with my Transparent Red Lead II.

Comment

Love it. Similar to my solid ash sienna sunburst Am Strat.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Sweet! I wonder if that's what Jack Thammarat is playing here? (Or a variation.)

Comment

Jack's looks like a Stratocaster that truly does everything! He should do a demo with all positions & switches.

There is some backstory on my two Leads starting here in the Fender NAMM 2020 peek ... thread. Post #60 has a pickguard shot of my Lead II.

The original Lead Series (1979-1982) were intermediate guitars, priced in between the student models and Strats/Teles. The Wikipedia page is quite accurate describing them.

Fender Lead Series

The new 2020 Leads are part of the Player Series.

Player Series Leads

So far my Lead III is a keeper. I need to get on that pickup comparison.

Comment

Maybe this will trickle down to a Squier version. It would be a great mod platform.
                      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I spent a few hours this evening comparing the pickups. On paper the pickups are:

Lead III
                        Bridge & Neck: Fender Player Series Alnico 2 Humbucker
                        Configurations: S1 - bridge/both/neck & S2 - bridge split/neck split/both humbucking

Lead II
                        Bridge - Seymour Duncan Custom Shop Fender X-1 (Alnico 5)
                        Neck - Fender X-1 (Alnico 5)
                        Configurations: S1 - bridge/both/neck & S2 - both can be in/out of phase

To me the Leads are 80's guitars, so I contemplated dragging out the Windsor half stack for the comparison. Realizing most of my neighbors are at home, courtesy of the state shutting everything down to limit the spread of COVOID-19, I opted to instead use the Butcher model on my Vypyr VIP 3. More reasonable levels and I could also use my cans if needed. I set the Butcher EQ flat at 12:00 for this comparison.

Since my Lead II X-1's are single coils, I only compared my Lead III pups split to singles against my Lead II. However, I did adjust and balance my Lead III pickups as humbuckers.

Before directly comparing them, I started with my Lead III on the Clean channel. When playing a humbucker and then splitting to single it is obvious in the tone. It thins out, gets brighter and chimey as expected. Sounded good on both the bridge and neck. I did this for a while until I was satisfied I had hum and single tones available with a flick of the switch.

Then I switched to my Lead II. Thin, bright, chimey and ... jangly. Hmmm, where was that jangle on my Lead III? I went back and forth between bridge and neck on my Lead II and there was plenty of jangle in each position.

Back to my Lead III. At this point I could hear the jangle, but it was maybe 10%-15% of what my Lead II had. Probably why I did not even think of jangle when I was first switching hum/single on my Lead III.

Back and forth between my II and III I went, trying to figure out why the jangle was not comparable. I finally took a detour and got my '62 Vintage RI Stratocaster to compare jangle. My '62 RI was more jangly than my Lead II. Obviously I do not play clean often enough.

My Clean channel conclusion is either I need to spend some more time adjusting my Lead III pups, or split they check all the boxes except jangle. Probably not the be all end all pickups if you want to get that perfect Fender pickup clean tone. My Lead II is brighter than my Lead III.

On to the Crunch channel with an 80's level of gain dialed in. I started with my Lead III. It sounded like what I was remembering in my head for my Lead II. I ran thru some AC/DC, Priest, Krokus, Crue, Fastway and Leppard then switched to my Lead II.

My Lead II was noticeably, maybe 25% or more, hotter. Back and forth between my II and III again. My Lead II is still brighter or my Lead III is darker. Under gain, jangle is not a tonal artifact or at least I cannot hear it.

My Crunch channel conclusion is my Lead III will cover the same gain tones as my Lead II. However my Lead III will need another notch on the preamp/gain of the amplifier.

I will work on the Lead III pickup height a little more. If anything, I am thinking the bridge may be set a little too high on the high E side but I will see how it pans out.

Comment

Working...
                        X