Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup decisions - Dimarzio

Hi folks,

New to forum but need a bit of help - the 3 way switch on my EVH wolfgang (zillaburst model) has finally knackered itself and no amount of contact cleaner will revive it!
    So I though I'd get that replaced and at the same time put some new pups in (and go with the coil tap / out of phase push pull options on the control knobs)

I've gone down the dark side and ordered some Dimarzio - admittedly based on the website clips
    I chose the Mo Joe bridge and Transition neck

Now they aren't in stock yet so I have about a week to change my mind!

Any thoughts? Any good or bad experiences with these?

Playing wise I do a bit of everything except metal - don't need the super high gain anymore

Thanks a lot

Re: Pickup decisions - Dimarzio

That could be a really cool combo, but is there any reason you didn't just go for the Transition bridge, too?

Comment

I think it was the part of Satch's demo where he was showing how the pickup reacted to different picking positions that swayed it for me

I also toyed with the idea of putting a breed in but I've heard mixed reviews on these

Comment

The Transition set as a whole is very expressive and has a cool blend of vintage and modern qualities. They are ceramic-magnet pickups, which gives them a nice boost in output, but they respond more like an Alnico-magnet because of the way they are wound and constructed. It's an impressive feat.

I could see the Mo Joe working well with the Transition neck, but I think the good ol' Fred is actually a bit more expressive and harmonically rich than the Mo Joe. However, the Mo Joe is a little fuller and smoother overall than the Fred, with a little more output.

I'm curious though...was there something you don't like about the stock Wolfgang pickups?

Comment

Hmmm tempting - but I think I'm going to stick with my original choice thanks folks

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
            The Transition set as a whole is very expressive and has a cool blend of vintage and modern qualities. They are ceramic-magnet pickups, which gives them a nice boost in output, but they respond more like an Alnico-magnet because of the way they are wound and constructed. It's an impressive feat.

I could see the Mo Joe working well with the Transition neck, but I think the good ol' Fred is actually a bit more expressive and harmonically rich than the Mo Joe. However, the Mo Joe is a little fuller and smoother overall than the Fred, with a little more output.

I'm curious though...was there something you don't like about the stock Wolfgang pickups?
            To be fair they aren't that bad - I think they will probably wing their way onto an old epi les paul I have

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post
              I concur! They don't sound or feel like ceramics to me. The neck REALLY seems PAF-ish to me. Significantly lower powered compared the the bridge. It seems like...almost a single coil with the amount you have to work the string. Not a shredder's neck pickup choice for sure.

Luke
              “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Hey man - give them a spin, let the tone sink into your ears for a couple of weeks. The ears often hate the "new" thing on principle.

Don't forget to tweet the amp appropriately. Then get back with a review!
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  Hey man - give them a spin, let the tone sink into your ears for a couple of weeks. The ears often hate the "new" thing on principle.

Don't forget to tweet the amp appropriately. Then get back with a review!
                  Will do - amp wise I'm mainly playing through my Line 6 DT25 (the Bogner Line 6 tube thing) - I'm expecting good things!

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
                    I find the titan neck handles higher gain marginally better than the Transition neck....
                    Yes.

Comment

I boycott DiMarzio because of their legal games such as blocking other manufacturers from making double creme humbuckers. Not saying you should too, just throwing that out there. Plenty of other fish in the humbucker sea.

Comment

Working...
                      X