banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Solid State Experts - I have questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Solid State Experts - I have questions...

Originally posted by PoorMan View Post
    Think a 100 watt Randall would be usable in the bedroom? Or is it too much?
    Great for bedroom volume. (Is what I meant to say)

Comment

Tubes generally have a lot different sound depending on the volume.

Solid state is definitely more consistent.

I have use Modellers, Solid State, Hybrids, and Tubes. Honestly, the most important thing is to KNOW the amp. Every one is different. I have rarely ran into ones I could not get a useable sound out of. It might not be the best sound for what I want though.
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Part of the SS power vs tube power debate is that transistors don't usually have a pleasant clipping tone. The general rule is you'd want 3db of clean headroom. That's double the power. So you'd want to run your 50 watt SS amp at no more than 25 watts. A tube amp, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. They start to come alive as they're driven into clipping, which can easily be twice the power. So your 50 watt tube amp sounds like 100 watts. Since both SS and tubes use the same power rating system, the 50 watt tube amp seems louder than the 50 watt SS amp. And in fact, it is, unless you like SS clipping distortion.

Comment

A well designed, well built ss amp is preferable to a cheap tube amp. Probably as good as a good one depending on what you are playing. The Roland JC120 and Randall RG-120ES are classic ss amps.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Part of the SS power vs tube power debate is that transistors don't usually have a pleasant clipping tone. The general rule is you'd want 3db of clean headroom. That's double the power. So you'd want to run your 50 watt SS amp at no more than 25 watts. A tube amp, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. They start to come alive as they're driven into clipping, which can easily be twice the power. So your 50 watt tube amp sounds like 100 watts. Since both SS and tubes use the same power rating system, the 50 watt tube amp seems louder than the 50 watt SS amp. And in fact, it is, unless you like SS clipping distortion.
            So that's why they made my Randall RH200 200 watts at 8ohms.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Yup.

Comment

My 60 watt Tech 21 Trademark 60 is about as loud as a 18 watt tube amp, but no more than that. We keep a pretty low stage volume, though, and I just sit it on a small stand in front of me (kinda like a floor wedge) when we play.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

!8 watt tube amp through the right cab can keep up with an aggressive drummer. Providing that you don't want super cleans.
                  I used to have an 80 watt Ross 1x12 combo that would have done a small club through a 4x12, if it were cranked.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    My 60 watt Tech 21 Trademark 60 is about as loud as a 18 watt tube amp, but no more than that.
                    I was always GAS'ing for one of those. It appears that they've stopped producing them, though. That's a shame.

Comment

I was always GAS'ing for one of those. It appears that they've stopped producing them, though. That's a shame.
                      *Any* of the Trademark series is worth tracking down. I have a Trademark 10, and I will get a Trademark 30, too. The 10 & 30 is a different sort of animal from the 60, but I was able to close a newer 68 Custom Vibrolux side-by-side with the Trademark 60. The direct out sounds amazing through the PA, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        *Any* of the Trademark series is worth tracking down. I have a Trademark 10, and I will get a Trademark 30, too. The 10 & 30 is a different sort of animal from the 60, but I was able to close a newer 68 Custom Vibrolux side-by-side with the Trademark 60. The direct out sounds amazing through the PA, too.
                        I desperately wanted a 120 when they were out but they were a little expensive for me at the time. I was on a Crate budget.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
                        -Greg

Guitars:
                        2016 Ibanez RG6003FM (JB/'59nJ)
                        2018 G&L Tribute Legacy (Hot Rails/stock/stock)
                        2019 Squier Affinity Telecaster HH (Esquire'd w/ JB)
                        Applause/Ovation AE28 Acoustic/Electric

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01 View Post
                          I desperately wanted a 120 when they were out but they were a little expensive for me at the time. I was on a Crate budget.

That's the thing..they were all super expensive for the time. The Trademark 60 was like 500-600 for an SS amp. I worked at a music store at the time, so I got a deal.

Comment

Originally posted by skyydogg01 View Post

That's the thing..they were all super expensive for the time. The Trademark 60 was like 500-600 for an SS amp. I worked at a music store at the time, so I got a deal.

Comment

I was thinking that the old Power Engine was a bit pricey too, for being 60 watts. The new version is 200 watts for $450. That's not quite so bad.

Comment

I was thinking that the old Power Engine was a bit pricey too, for being 60 watts. The new version is 200 watts for $450. That's not quite so bad.
                                The new version is supposed to be a whole lot better, too. I never used a Power Engine, but the old ones supposedly colored the sound quite a bit.

Comment

Working...
                                X