Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Single Coil Sized humbucker recommendation

Good day,

I'm debating on putting a single coil sized humbucker in my stratlike guitar, but am kinda at a loss for which one. I was thinking either the Red Devil or Little '59.

I have an STK-S7 in the neck, and STK-S4M in the middle, but don't really know what to put in the bridge. I don't care for my bridge STK-S6 at all so I basically never use it. I also have a Bridge-On switch that gives me all 3 in parallel, which I do like and neck + bridge, which I also like.

What kind of humbucker can I put in the bridge that will give a nice singing lead tone that can compete with neck and neck + middle in the volume department without being too hot. I don't want the bridge to be too loud. This may be inevitable and I'll live with it if necessary though.

Also, since the other pups are noiseless, how will the humbucker work for that? I want to keep the quack sound from position 2 while still keep it noiseless.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks,
    GreatOz

Re: Single Coil Sized humbucker recommendation

what is it you dont like about the stk-s6?

Comment

I can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe a bit too bright without enough low mids specifically. I don't care for it as a rhythm tone or a lead tone no matter what I do to it. The Bridge + Middle in position 2 is great though. I don't want to lose that.

Comment

The Vintage Rails and Duckbucker will keep the quack sounds, but any other little humbuckers sound much closer to a humbucker than a single coil, so your quack wouldn't be there. Another STK-S7 might be a good choice.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

A normal humbucker split doesn't noise cancel with the middle stack split?

Comment

I loved the little 59 in my strat - sounded great (ignore rubbish quality vid)

Fender 50s classic player with a sc little 59 in the bridge

Comment

Originally posted by GreatOz View Post
              A normal humbucker split doesn't noise cancel with the middle stack split?
              It will noise cancel yes

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

as long as you split both and use the right coil on the bucker, yes. it will cancel hum. the stk-s9 is a cool bridge pup with less top and more mids than the stk-s6 but the notch tone will be a little different. cant change one with out changing the other

Comment

I use a Cool Rails bridge in my strat. I've always been happy with it. EQ and output should match up very well with the two stacks.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk
                  "I have the ultimate respect for Whitesox fans. They were as miserable as the Cubs and Redsox fans ever were but always had the good decency to keep it to themselves. And when they finally won the World Series, they celebrated without annoying every other fan in the country."--Jim Caple, ESPN (Jan. 12, 2011)

Comment

I don't really mind the notch/quack tone being different as long as the quack is still present and not too different.
                    Last edited by GreatOz; 02-27-2020, 03:59 PM.

Comment

^ That has been my experience.
                      The things that you wanted
                      I bought them for you

Comment

The Little Screamin' Demon matches pretty well with single coils.

Comment

Working...
                        X