banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding some “oomph” to a Seth Lover bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding some “oomph” to a Seth Lover bridge?

I put a set of Seth Lovers in my newest build and LOVE the neck pickup, even more so after swapping the magnet to A4. The bridge though I’m just not getting along with. Stock was too loose and low output for me, so I tried an A4 in it, but it still lacks some “oomph”. Even raised up close to the strings it doesn’t have enough bass/low mids for me, and I wouldn’t mind a tad more output.

Should I try an A5 or maybe A8 magnet? Double thick magnet? Or do you think I would be better off swapping the Seth out for something with a slightly hotter wind?

Re: Adding some “oomph” to a Seth Lover bridge?

id say a8 would be a start and see how that works out. if that isnt enough then you need to look at a hotter pup

Comment

Yep, Jeremy got it. A8!!
      Originally Posted by IanBallard
      Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

A2Pro Slash Bridge...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
          A2Pro Slash Bridge...
          Why buy a new/expensive pup when all he needs is a new mag in what he's already got?
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You can also just boost it, or use an EQ pedal.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. B View Post
              A2Pro Slash Bridge...
              Correct me if I'm wrong, but a2 pro and slash are not pe wire, seth is, so just higher dcr and a2 do not make them an over wound seth.

Comment

Thanks guys, I'll try the A8 and see where that gets me

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                  Why buy a new/expensive pup when all he needs is a new mag in what he's already got?
                  I don't get the "A8 solves everything" advice I see so often on this forum. Given the issues with virtually every aspect of the Seth bridge, more than a magnet swap certainly seems to be a reasonable suggestion.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBarbeeMusic View Post
                    Correct me if I'm wrong, but a2 pro and slash are not pe wire, seth is, so just higher dcr and a2 do not make them an over wound seth.
                    Plain enamel wire doesn’t sound any different from poly nylon coated wire. It’s a lot of hype.

Real PAFs were bright and jangly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There can be several possible options for improving the Seth Lover in the way you're describing, but I am very curious to hear how this pans out once you've put the A8 in there. Definitely update us on your results after it's done!

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
                        I don't get the "A8 solves everything" advice I see so often on this forum. Given the issues with virtually every aspect of the Seth bridge, more than a magnet swap certainly seems to be a reasonable suggestion.
                        Exactly what "issues" are you referring to?

Care to elaborate?

/Peter
                        Peter Pedersen aka Discharged
                        Kolding, Denmark

Comment

Originally posted by Discharged View Post
                          Exactly what "issues" are you referring to?

Care to elaborate?

/Peter
                          Being pretty happy with a Seth bridge for . . . oh, about 18 years now, I'm kinda curious too.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

i am certainly not an "a8 solves everything" guy and dont generally care for it myself but as a cheap fix that might work, its worth a try.

as far as a pedal... i always want the pups in a guitar to balance in a way that suits me, id never want to have to use a pedal to fix the bridge pup if i liked the neck without the pedal

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
                              Being pretty happy with a Seth bridge for . . . oh, about 18 years now, I'm kinda curious too.
                              Did you not read the OP citing all of the inadequacies for getting his tone?

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                              i am certainly not an "a8 solves everything" guy and dont generally care for it myself but as a cheap fix that might work, its worth a try.
                              Worth a try, absolutely. It was the snarky comment regarding a different suggestion that got to me. There are a countless ways to address these issues, including magnet swaps, nothing wrong with giving people well reasoned options.

I don't want to thread jack this one, feel free to send disagreements, questions, or disparaging comments to my inbox.

Comment

Working...
                              X