banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding some “oomph” to a Seth Lover bridge?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Adding some “oomph” to a Seth Lover bridge?

Double thick A2 will boost it while not changing the vintage vibe. That's what I have in my 8.1k Fralin and it sits lower than the minis in the neck and middle.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 02-27-2020, 07:58 PM.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Personally I like A4 in a Seth Lover Bridge. YMMV but it does a lot of what the OP is describing. A8 will be a more dramatic difference. It’ll be a cheap experiment and then you’ll know.
      Last edited by frankfalbo; 02-28-2020, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
        Plain enamel wire doesn’t sound any different from poly nylon coated wire. It’s a lot of hype.
        Sorry that’s just not my experience, at all. Whether it’s a difference in the thickness of the coating, or the actual dielectric qualities of the insulation, both play a role.

Comment

Try a smooth A5 magnet first. After that, you could go A8, and then delve into ceramics.

These mag swaps won't change the fundamental e.q. balance of the wind, but they will change the output of the pickup, which can greatly affect your tone, especially on the low end. This is because the output affects how the pickup hits your pre-amp, which changes the distortion levels of the amp. More compression/distortion equals a different sounding pickup, even though the wind is the same.

It also greatly helps to give yourself a separate tone control for your bridge pickup. You could run it down a bit and tweak your cap and pot values for the desired effect on your high end.
          Last edited by ItsaBass; 02-28-2020, 03:08 AM.
          Originally posted by LesStrat
          Yogi Berra was correct.
          Originally posted by JOLLY
          I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

You people need ****ing help. It needs more inductance. Not more **** eq.
            I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
              Did you not read the OP citing all of the inadequacies for getting his tone?
              Yeah, I read the OP but didn't really see inadequacies . . . more a difference of taste.

The OP complained that the Seth was too loose in the bass (something pretty common for A2 pickups) and that it was too low output. Those aren't inadequacies, they're how the pickup was designed. It sounds like he just doesn't want a low output A2 bridge pickup and would probably be better off with a mid/high gain one.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Take it easy guys... There may not be a single answer.

I for one am not a fan of a8's... but by all means, the OP should try one. Also, an unoriented roughcast a5, which I think he might like. If those don't help, I'd say the best bet is an ant bridge with an a2 or a4 (to match the neck).

B
                FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

Comment

Don’t know if you’re going to turn a Seth lover into a Medium gain with tight bass to the level that you probably have in your head. A8 magenta will probably help but not be the ticket for what you want.

I’d consider switching pups to a higher gain wind that’s potted.

Incidentally, what you dislike about the seth bridge is what I like about it ! I do have another guitar with higher gain HBs for when I want to rock. Seth in my semi hollow are when I’m getting into some blues

Comment

Nobody has EVER claimed that an A8 is a cure-all magnet, so you can get off of that high horse right away. (Yes, you, chadd). (I hate it when people make these generalized claims as if they were specifically true). It MAY be that a new pup is in order, but a simple, cheap mag swap may be all that is required and a good place to start.

Some of you guys have missed the OP's point...

He "LOVES" the neck Seth (with A4). So, something about Seths IS generally working for him.
                    His complaint about the bridge Seth is that it is too "loose" and needs "oomph".

Yes changing to a different pup MAY solve those issues, but that may also create other issues (too much bass, not enough highs, too much output, wrong tone altogether, doesn't ballance well with the neck, etc). So before risking spending lots of money and possibly get a pig-in-a-poke, let's work with what he's got FIRST. The Seth (with an A2) is going to be a little loose in the lows...that's a product of the magnet, not good or bad, it's just the way it is. A2 is also a weak magnet (again, not good or bad, but it IS a quality of the magnet),

So to cure the problem of "loose" lows (which is due to the magnet) it is obvious that changing the magnet is the logical place to start. There are several magnets that could help with the looseness (A4, A5, A8, A9, ceramic, etc)
                    The problem of needing more "oomph" could be helped by A8, A9, ceramic.

But because the OP "LOVES" the Seth with an A4 (this is an important clue) in the neck, we have to rule out ceramic. That tone and feel is just way out of the ballpark of an original Seth or one with an A4. That leaves A8 or A9. Either of those would be a great and inexpensive place to start.

You see folks, there is a reasoning process (called "deductive reasoning/logic") that needs to take place before you just fly off the handle and suggest "A8 is not a cure-all", or "you need a new pickup" (damn the cost or possible negative sequelae).

You see, sometimes you have to know what you're talking about or at least know the qualities of the items (pickups and magnets) that you're talking about. If someone who has a Pearly Gates is complaining that it is just too bright and too strong, you're NOT going to suggest an A8 mag swap (maybe a different pup is in order). If someone has a 59 and is complaining that it is too bright, not enough mids, and not enough power, you're not going to suggest an A2 (perhaps an A6 or A8 may be the starting point, but maybe even a different pup would be the solution...depending on other input from that person).

I really believe that everyone, or nearly everyone, on this forum is sincerely trying to help each other. But not everyone who we are trying to help is made of money and can spare the time and expense of trying a half-dozen different pups to find what he's looking for and maybe even then still need a mag swap too. And I admit that it is easy to spend other people's money. But let's keep it realistic in trying to help others.
                    Last edited by GuitarDoc; 02-28-2020, 10:12 AM.
                    Originally Posted by IanBallard
                    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I had the same feelin about the PG bridge in my LP copy . Put a A8 in an worked well.

Comment

A8 would be substantially hotter than degaussed A2. If you want a more effective solution, use a double thick magnet. It addresses the root problem of boosting the output of the vintage wind so that it doesn't sound weak and thin anymore. There's A2,3,4,5,8. You don't have to change the tone of the pickup to modern by using A8 unless you want to.
                        I bought them for you

Comment

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
                          https://www.cermagmagnets.co.uk/alni...125mm-39-p.asp

A8 would be substantially hotter than degaussed A2. If you want a more effective solution, use a double thick magnet. It addresses the root problem of boosting the output of the vintage wind so that it doesn't sound weak and thin anymore. There's A2,3,4,5,8. You don't have to change the tone of the pickup to modern by using A8 unless you want to.
                          Thanks, I'll try those if A8 doesn't work for me. Would i need bigger/double spacers to use the double thick mags?

Comment

you can usually flip the spacers on their side, do you have covers on the pups? that can be an issue

Comment

Uh huh with the exact thickness of these mags from cermag I have been using 2 spacers with a layer of masking tape between them for each side. You would also probably have to go without the cover.
                              I bought them for you

Comment

You should have enough height on the cover to still use it. If you don't have enough height to solder it to the baseplate, you can still use it by putting some double stick tape on the top of the pickup (slug side) to stick the cover on. Covers don't NEED to be soldered on.
                                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Working...
                                X