Trying something different.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying something different.

I installed a set of SSL-5's awhile ago and I'm happy with the bridge pickup. But, the neck and middle has got to go. Before I installed the SSL-5's I had a set of Eric Johnson's which were okay but the bridge was too light for me. I'm going to install the neck and middle pickups from the Johnson set and give it a shot. Is there anything I should take into consideration? Thanks.

Re: Trying something different.

No idea as we have no clue what you want in tone. Where do you want to go from the SSL5's fatter, smoother, glassier, cleaner what??
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I feel that the neck pickup it too fat for my liking. The middle pickup isn't so bad but it's on the borderline. So I guess I'm leaning towards a cleaner tone for the neck and middle positions.

Comment

Another good pick for the neck and middle is a set of SSL-2s. You can order the middle pickup rw/rp so it is hum-cancelling when used with another pickup.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'll take a look those SSL-2's. Thanks.

Comment

ssl5 is staggered so id get ssl1 to keep the same form. the ej pups should work fine with the ssl5 bridge as long as you flip the wires so they are in phase

Comment

Which wires do I need to flip? And do I still need to flip them if the middle pickup is RW/RP? Thanks.
              Last edited by Explorer84; 02-27-2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

youd either the flip the hot and ground on both the neck and middle pup or on the bridge pup. you want the middle pup to stick to the bridge if you put them top to top and the neck pup to repel from the bridge top to top

Comment

I forgot how good the Eric Johnson's sounded. I reinstalled the full EJ set. As someone has stated before about letting a Strat be a Strat. It's true for me..........for now.

Comment

the ej should play fine with the ssl5 bridge if you find you want more meat there

Comment

Working...
                    X