Thread: Ibanez MS10 Metal Charger

Ultimate Tone Member

Default Ibanez MS10 Metal Charger

Anybody try one of these?

Name:  978C7087-E0AB-4FA1-91FC-76438D997766.jpeg
Views: 60
Size:  98.0 KB

Default Re: Ibanez MS10 Metal Charger

I used to use one all the time in the 90s. It's not metal zone metal, it's more like a really nice distortion pedal with a lot of control. If I was still using amps I'd probably still have one on my board.

Ultimate Tone Slacker Dave Locher's Avatar
    Joplin, MO, smack dab in the middle of the U.S.

What does the attack knob actually do? I assume punch and edge are eq, but attack doesn't seem like a good label for bass or lows

Sorry, I don't remember exactly, I think it was one was a pre-distortion EQ and the others were post distortion. Can't tell you exactly what was what, it's been years since I used it. I think I have a schematic somewhere but don't have time to look for it right now. I remember it had a bunch of JRC4558s in it.

I've used one of these in the past. Some other models changed the names from "attack, punch, edge" to "high, low, enhance". It's a nice distortion pedal and pretty versatile. My only real problem with it is that you need the level at 10 in order to get any signal out of it. I think there is a diode mod for this, but I'm not sure.
    "In the hair metal days, I didn't want to learn how to play guitar for the girls. I wanted to make noise and make people mad."

-James Hetfield

Quote Originally Posted by toneking77 View Post
    I've used one of these in the past. Some other models changed the names from "attack, punch, edge" to "high, low, enhance". It's a nice distortion pedal and pretty versatile. My only real problem with it is that you need the level at 10 in order to get any signal out of it. I think there is a diode mod for this, but I'm not sure.
    It has a lot of clipping diodes in it, I remember experimenting with removing some of those, seems like it opened it up some, but it's been a long time. I mostly remember it being a good distortion pedal, but if you're looking for metal zone type metal, it's not that. And yes, it doesn't have a ton of output.

I remember using a Marshall Metal Shredder around the same time too, another great sounding distortion pedal, but definitely not "modern" metal.