Looking for the right delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for the right delay

I basically need a delay in pedal form that will give me one exact copy of the input, delayed by a sixteenth-note interval. Obviously it should be able to do far more than that, but a pedal that can't do this doesn't meet my short-term sonic needs. That generally shakes out to the following feature list:

* Digital, and not one trying to emulate analog
    * Tap tempo, ideally as a second onboard switch
    * Subdivision down to 16ths
    * Repeat setting independent of decay
    * Reasonable cost (like, not $400)

Pretty simple, but I haven't yet found one that checks all the boxes:
    * The Carbon Copy Deluxe has the feature set and a decent pricepoint, but is a bucket-brigade circuit. If I were looking for delay as a more traditional effect it would be perfect, but even with the bright setting it just loses too much of the input tone.
    * The Strymon DIG sounds awesome and looks like it can be configured to give me what I need, except the subdivisions only go to triplet eighths (yeah, I know I can just tap double-time with straight eighths, but there's a limit).
    * The Strymon Timeline and Echolution 2 Deluxe both have all of the all of it, but that makes them very complex effects, and expensive ones (both are $400-$450 new).

EDIT: After some more searching, the Earthquaker Avalanche Run looks like it checks all the boxes, and used prices are reasonable on the 'Verb at just over $200. It's kind of stereo, in that it will delay a stereo input but won't create ping-pongy stuff, but I didn't ask for that so I can't really fault it, and as a pedal I'll be using it mostly for live (mono) stuff anyway, while when I'm laying down tracks in Reaper at home I have more VSTs than I know what to do with including about a dozen ways to set up true stereo delays.

Any others I should look at?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Liko; 02-27-2020, 03:35 PM.

Re: Looking for the right delay

Getting a 16th note repeat is the hard thing...you could probably double-time tap in the tempo on a pedal like the Andromeda, though. It can do a direct 1:1 copy of the input signal, though.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The 1st gen flashback delay has a strum tempo feature, which is far more accurate than tap tempo (unless you've got very good foot control). So you can set it to quarter note delay and then just strum 16ths and you should be set. The only drawback is that it's not usable in a live situation if you ever play two songs back to back that both require delay.

EDIT: check out the JHS Lucky Cat or the Walrus Audio ARP-87, they both have all the requested features save for 16ths, but they do have 8ths so you can just double your foot tap tempo and you should be spot on.
      Last edited by Coma; 02-27-2020, 04:37 AM.
      --------------------------------------------------------
      1973 Aria 551
      1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
      1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
      1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
      1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
      2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Liko - Avalanche Run is a great, and very flexible delay, though I have to say that I wouldn’t describe its repeats as “clean” - it has its own flavor in the repeats, like most everything Earthquaker does (and is so good at).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
          Liko - Avalanche Run is a great, and very flexible delay, though I have to say that I wouldn’t describe its repeats as “clean” - it has its own flavor in the repeats, like most everything Earthquaker does (and is so good at).
          Thanks for that. I listened to EytschPi's review, and with the tone control near center (no rolloff of treble or bass) and the repeats down, it certainly sounds clean enough for a simple slapback-type digi-delay. I will keep looking for something advertised as a little cleaner, but this is still the current front-runner.

Comment

I'm thinking a TC Nova Delay would work

http://www.tcelectronic.com/Categori...ogtrans(en|en)

Last edited by Aceman; 02-27-2020, 04:52 PM.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

^Doesn't look like it has 16th notes, though.

Comment

TC Electronics Flashback2 X4 has most, if not all, of that. I know it has 16th subdivisions on it.
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

I personally didn’t like the TC Flashback. It was too gimmicky sounding. The Boss DD pedals were too bright. I liked the Carbon Copy. It works great with my AC 15. You may want to consider the Boss DD 500 if you need a bright digital delay. It also has a looper.

Comment

Still, a cool pedal...
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by BRHGM View Post
                      I personally didn’t like the TC Flashback. It was too gimmicky sounding. The Boss DD pedals were too bright. I liked the Carbon Copy. It works great with my AC 15. You may want to consider the Boss DD 500 if you need a bright digital delay. It also has a looper.
                      Isnt the AC15 a pretty bright amp? Can imagine that works well with a CC.

The TC doesn't sound really authentic in its analog mode, but I love that about it. Blends the best of both worlds, so to speak. Never tried a real 2290 but I would imagine it's pretty accurate.
                      1973 Aria 551
                      1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

On the TC, I hated that in analog mode, you only had like 800ms of delay. Even though it is digital. Only the digital 'models' get the higher delay times.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                          On the TC, I hated that in analog mode, you only had like 800ms of delay. Even though it is digital. Only the digital 'models' get the higher delay times.
                          That's on the gen 2 though. The 1st one doesn't have that limitation.
                          1973 Aria 551
                          1995 Aria Pro II TA-65

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
                            That's on the gen 2 though. The 1st one doesn't have that limitation.
                            Seems like an odd thing to 'add', huh?

Comment

It’s no brighter than Fender Deluxe or Blues Jr or a Princeton. The Reverb is ok but the Tremelo is pretty good. I have a Greenback in it currently and that’s a warm speaker. The Celestion speakers in modern Fenders are brighter. With a Timmy pedal or a Rat, I can get pretty warm low end. I tried the Carbon Copy with several amps and it wasn’t too dark. The Boss DD pedals were very bright and kind of fake sounding.

Comment

Working...
                              X