NAD PRS ARCHON 50!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD PRS ARCHON 50!

Amp arrived late today so only a few first impressions. First off everything about this head is just quality the look the feel of the controls the detail no doubt about this being a real boutique point to point wired
    hand built amp.
    Now the first tones. Set everything at 12 Oclock plug the head into my Blackstar 1/12 with the WGS Retro 30 turn both masters down all the way let it warm up and flip it on. Start on the gain side and slowly roll the master up and as she comes in it's amazing whisper levels and the harmonic content is just jaw dropping! Super low volume and the tones HUGE open not buzzy rich and organic! Roll it up to about 9 Oclock and it just keeps getting better fuller clearer by 11 Oclock it really coming alive and is just hammering! This is with my never touching ANYTHING on eq gain everything is just set straight up a noon and I'm thinking this is the best sounding amp I have ever plugged into for a smooth rich organic overdrive tone and it's not even dialed in yet!! Just absolutely blown away!! Wife is home and I'm spanking my ears pretty good at this point so I flip over to the cleans.

Again like the crunch side everything is at noon master all the way down so roll it in. Comes in very easily and smoothly very very good clean tons of headroom warm rich and big sounding. Cleaner and with higher headroom than my MT 15 and is very very nice. Doesn't have the pull boost and is a real clean doesn't break up even when I crank it a little on the gain and hit it hard with attack. Kind of a shame though it doesn't do that nice light break up like the MT 15 so it's much different. Should really take pedals well.
    2 things that stood out on the amp immediately. This thing while having tons of gain is super quiet shockingly so. Second is just how amazing the tones are at super low volumes and how controllable it is. Baffling that this 50 watt monster is so super easy to get knock out bedroom level tones with at 50 watts while the little 15 watt MT 15 that supposedly is based off this one is SO impossible to control at low volumes. Bet the 50 watt combo versions of this thing would be the absolute ultimate bedroom amp!
    Really have not gotten into it to see just what I can really do with it but so far am absolutely floored at how good this amp is . Will get back to you in a few days when I have had the chance to really work with it but after just this WOW!!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Archon 2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	5853575
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Archon 1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	5853576
    Last edited by Ascension; 02-27-2020, 09:18 AM.
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Re: NAD PRS ARCHON 50!

Congrats! I've always thought the 50W version looks classier with the brushed alluminum faceplate.

Comment

Man, I am SOOOOOOOOO jealous right now! Congrats!

Comment

Nice! I have had my eye on an Archon combo.

Comment

Very cool, congratulations! I'm after an Archon myself, I hope to love it the way you are so far!

Comment

Thanks guys. The more I play with this amp the more I like it. It's very organic and touch sensitive cleans up very well with guitar volume and touch. While it is a high gain very modern voiced amp on the crunch side it's also very smooth articulate and defined in the tones. Has more high end and mids than you think at first but it's more warm and smooth rather than fizzy and buzzy like most high gain amps can be. This amp is very thick and fat sounding but some how is not muddy and undefined on the crunches. The cleans are simply jaw dropping and better than any of the other amps i own. Tons of headroom very big round and warm best cleans I have ever heard on a high gain head period. It's really a unique sounding very classy rig.
            For what I do this amp is giving me many tones that I have always heard in my head and have just never quite been able to get. The little MT 15 is similar but the Archon is a step up. Quieter cleaner more open and dynamic clearer more defined and articulate in particular when you turn it up than the MT 15. Can not be happier with this amp so far and can't wait to get it out in some outdoor situations in the spring where I can really turn this beast loose!
            Haven't been able to record the Archon in a full band setting yet but here is my 17 Kiesel DC with a Perpetual Burn in the bridge through the little MT 15 running only a little Verb in the loop at my home Church with a miced cab running a Retro 30 WGS. Archon is very similar in basic tone.
            Last edited by Ascension; 03-04-2020, 08:41 PM.
            Guitars
            Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
            Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

I have always wanted to try the archon 25 combo. I would imagine based on your experience, it would be a great bedroom amp.
              Kiesel Aries Blood Red (M22SD/M22V)
              ESP LTD KH Quija Red Sparkle
              Friedman Be-OD Deluxe/AMT P-Drive, Boss RV-6 --> AMT Tube Cake --> 1x12" EVH Cab w/ Celestion Lynchback

Comment

Originally posted by jclogston View Post
                I have always wanted to try the archon 25 combo. I would imagine based on your experience, it would be a great bedroom amp.
                Would think so but the 25 may have been discontinued as it's now showing up on the PRS site now. Will say this the 50 head I have is one of the absolute best amps at bedroom levels I have ever used. The low volume tones are amazing but the high gain crunches and the cleans so will guess tha the 50 watt combo should be equally good. What's really surprising is now how good the 50 watt Archon is at low volume but how bad the 15 watt MT that is supposedly based off it is at low volume!! Where the 50 watt Archon is super easy to control and get a great low volume tone the little MT 15 is almost impossible to control at low volume and that doesn't make sense??
                Guitars

Comment

Working...
                X