Bridge Pickup in Deluxe Strat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge Pickup in Deluxe Strat

Was wondering if anyone out there has any experience in wiring an SHR-1B Hotrails humbucker bridge pickup in a 2013 American Deluxe Stratocaster that has the S-1 pushbutton switch in the volume knob.

The original pickup is an N3 Noiseless with three wires, Green - connected to ground (back of the middle tone pot), Red – connected to the 5-way switch and Black – connected to the S1 switch.

I wired the SHR-1B as follows – Green/Bare to ground, White/Red to 5 way switch, Black to S1 switch. The result was a tinny sound, nasal and low volume, not at all what I was expecting.

The N3 is louder and warmer than the SHR. Am I doing something wrong, or is this to be expected?

Re: Bridge Pickup in Deluxe Strat

Welcome to the forum!

Keep in mind that the Hot Rails is out of phase with modern Fender pickups. So swap the hot and ground on the Hot Rails, and that weak tinny sound should go away.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks for your response. Just to be clear is the hot wire the Black or the Red/White?

Comment

hot is black, green is ground. bare wire always stays grounded. the red/white is the series connection

Comment

Great, thanks very much for your help. So this is what I ended up doing after separating the green wire and bare wire. Black (Hot) to 5-way switch, Green to S1 Switch, Bare to ground (back of tone pot), Red and White taped together not connected. The attached diagram explains my thought behind it after comparing to the original N3 pickup wiring. It sounds great, brilliant and loud, more in line with what I was expecting.

The only thing I'm not sure of is if the new pickup is in phase with the others, I assume I'd be able to tell right away if it was wrong, but I wish there was a way to measure it to be sure.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SHR-1B Wiring for Strat.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	5818344

Comment

I think you got it! You hear it right away if things are out of phase. It sounds like it is working now.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
            X