No announcement yet.

5-Way 4-Pole Custom Wiring (HH, 1V, 1T)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-Way 4-Pole Custom Wiring (HH, 1V, 1T)

Hello folks. This is the first time I’ve posted on a board looking for custom wiring solution, but I figured what’s the harm?

It’s technically a DiMarzio humbucker set I’m working with, but I’ll take whatever anyone can offer (I can always translate the color codes). Here’s what I’m trying to pull off:

Single volume, single tone
    1. Neck series
    2. Neck (South) & Bridge (North) split parallel
    3. Bridge split (North)
    4. Neck (North) & Bridge (South) split parallel
    5. Bridge series

Now, I’m not set on the middle three being in those locations, I’d just like to achieve these combinations. If the layout as-is is particularly complicated I’m definitely open to reordering those middle three.

Any and all help appreciated, thanks!
    https://soundcloud.com/cannonbeach33

Re: 5-Way 4-Pole Custom Wiring (HH, 1V, 1T)

Click image for larger version

Name:	5way.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	32.4 KB
ID:	5818352

Comment

Forgot to mention that I’m only running a single volume and tone, but this ought to do the trick.

Thanks!

Comment

Looks like Traffic's diagram should work, but I think you have your switch positions backwards. Position 1 is when the switch is pointing more toward the bridge, and position 5 is when the switch is pointing more toward the neck.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          Looks like Traffic's diagram should work, but I think you have your switch positions backwards. Position 1 is when the switch is pointing more toward the bridge, and position 5 is when the switch is pointing more toward the neck.
          See that’s what I would have thought, however DiMarzio’s schematics have always been the other way around. I have the switch installed with the terminals angled away from the edge of the cavity/towards the bridge (wouldn’t fit with the terminals facing out).

Comment

Someone needs to educate DiMarzio.
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I might take some flak for this, but that's not a good diagram. We've just had two threads about this. In every single switch position, you've got one coil of either the neck or bridge hanging out on the hot side of the circuit. You'll be listening to the radio in all positions.

So I better put my money where my mouth is, and draw up something better. Gimme a sec.

Artie

Comment

In the top diagram, connect those four jumpers while you have the switch out on your bench and easy to get to. The colors are just for clarity. Doesn't matter what colors you use. If you want to go one step farther, add a few inches of wire to the "red" jumper to go to your volume pot, and add a few inches of wire to the "green" jumper to go to ground. Then, install it into the guitar, or pickguard, and using the bottom diagram, connect the DiMarzio black and white wires to their respective "common" lugs. Then connect the DMZ red wires, and the "out" wire, to any lug with the red jumper. Then connect the DMZ green wires, and ground, to any lug with the green jumper. Doesn't matter which one. They're all shorted together.

This will give you the positions you want and every coil that isn't used, is shorted out. Your axe will be quiet as a mouse. I always use this technique when wiring a superswitch. You can also connect your bridge ground to any "green" lug. (I mean the string bridge.)

Hope this helps.
                Artie

Click image for larger version

Name:	DiMarzio_wiring.png
Views:	1
Size:	7.2 KB
ID:	5818378

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                  This will give you the positions you want and every coil that isn't used, is shorted out. Your axe will be quiet as a mouse. I always use this technique when wiring a superswitch. You can also connect your bridge ground to any "green" lug. (I mean the string bridge.)

Hope this helps.
                  Artie
                  Much obliged! Would you happen to know whether the “dual split” positions will have them in series or parallel?

Comment

Artie, always happy to learn something new and possibly better...however, the kind of real life diagram you posted is just a drag to reverse engineer to understand what it does. Do you have an actual generic schematic? thanks a lot

Comment

Originally posted by noisy humbucker View Post
                      Much obliged! Would you happen to know whether the “dual split” positions will have them in series or parallel?
                      Parallel.

Originally posted by Traffic View Post
                      Artie, always happy to learn something new and possibly better...however, the kind of real life diagram you posted is just a drag to reverse engineer to understand what it does. Do you have an actual generic schematic? thanks a lot
                      I thought about that right after I posted. Let me get some coffee in me and I'll do another diagram that explains what I did. And thanks for the kind words.

Comment

It’s so different from any wiring I’ve done as of yet (which admittedly isn’t much) but if it works as well as you mention then I’m surprised it’s not more common.

About series/parallel - am I correct in assuming that combining a single coil from two pickups in series would essentially sound more “humbucker-like” than single coil-ish?

Thank you again Artie!

Comment

Originally posted by noisy humbucker View Post
                          About series/parallel - am I correct in assuming that combining a single coil from two pickups in series would essentially sound more “humbucker-like” than single coil-ish?
                          Yup. It's the basic Slutbucker. (Virtual 3rd humbucker.) PRS has been doing it for years. And that diagram can be easily modified to provide that.

I'm being a little slow to expand on that, because I want to do it right. So folks understand that diagram. Two humbuckers, with a Superswitch, is my favorite wiring scheme. So versatile, and so easy. Once you get my tactics.

Film@11.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                            Yup. It's the basic Slutbucker. (Virtual 3rd humbucker.) PRS has been doing it for years. And that diagram can be easily modified to provide that.
                            Nice. Can’t say I’m too interested in having a middle humbucker, but I am rethinking the sequence of selections. How about swapping 3 and 4 from my original list (so bridge north split is right next to bridge series, and the middle is now neck north and bridge south in parallel)?

Thanks either way!

Comment

When I get done with the explanation of how I do that wiring, you'll see how easy it is do swap any position around to any other position. It might be tomorrow, because I've got contractors coming in to do some house work. And, I want to get the explanation clear.

Comment

Working...
                              X