banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

P90 questions: Epi vs Gibson, soap bar vs dog ear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: P90 questions: Epi vs Gibson, soap bar vs dog ear?

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
    https://youtu.be/9TBGRpOQQDw

The new Epiphone guitars look awesome. Here's an Anderton's comparison video between Epi's LP Junior and Special and the Gibson equivalent.
    Oh man! I love that P-90 sound. Makes a humbucker sound like a muffled wet blanket by comparison. And makes A Strat single sound like a little wimp. Only thing that comes close is a good mini.
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
      The SG Classic P-90's are dogears under the soap covers but the differences seem so small I can't believe the footprint would have a big impact on the overall sound
      I remember their mounting plate being a dogear mounted on the full face pickguard but looked at them more as soapbars. Probably because at a glance they look that way. Always thought it was interesting how they got that to work since typical P-90 dogear plates don't have the screw threads. And I agree with the difference between the two mounting formats being minimal at best.
      Last edited by ErikH; 03-01-2020, 04:26 PM.

Comment

IMO:

Gibson P90s sound perfect, and always have. Epi ones are just OK.

All things equal, soap bar and dogear variants sound the same. But all things aren’t ever equal, because soap bars lend themselves to pickup height adjustments, which can idealize their tone to your tastes. Dogears don’t often get finely adjusted for pickup height, because it requires cutting custom shims.

That said, none of my dogear P90 equipped guitars (two LP Juniors and a 330) need pickup height adjustments. They sound absolutely fantastic.
        Last edited by ItsaBass; 03-01-2020, 01:24 PM.
        Originally posted by LesStrat
        Yogi Berra was correct.
        Originally posted by JOLLY
        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Working...
        X