Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird Behaviour on a APH1-b

... that i bought used.

Most of the time there is no output, but when it is the case, if i touch the pole pieces with a screwdriver there is a pop sound.

I searched for similar cases, where the ground and hot are inverted but this is probably not my case.

Why? Because if i fiddle with a pole piece, lowering and raising it with a screwdriver, the pickup ends up, after a few attempts, outputing normally,
    which confirms me that there is apparently no problem with the switch, pots, etc..

Then, i can play for a long time, not touching the pole pieces or anything anymore, but the day after, most of the times, no sound, again.

Any ideas of what this could be ? Some short inside the pickup ? The pickup is just dying ?

Thanks for your time and knowledge !
    Last edited by xuoham; 02-28-2020, 01:18 AM.

Re: Weird Behaviour on a APH1-b

I'm not exactly an expert but since you've got no answers yet I'll try. My best guess is a partial break in the coil winding, which is causing a massive amount of resistance so you're not getting any perceptible output from the magnetic signal from the strings , however when tapping with the screwdriver somehow it is hearing that decently enough to send a popping sound thru. When you're fiddling with the pole screw somehow you are nudging the broken coil wire back into place enough to make a connection again. Maybe even that it takes a few attempts cause you're just building up enough static or heat to make a jump connection or something. Can play for a while then when you let it sit and cool off the connection is lost. Could also be break in the the actual output/series wire I guess

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks a lot, BKR,

That seems to be the right explanation, even though sometimes it still sounds the day after.

Also, a few times i just had to touch the pole piece slightly and sound came out, which would confirm a kind of static thing also going on.

Ok, so i'm off to get another pu, i guess.

I really appreciate the help ! :-)
      Last edited by xuoham; 02-29-2020, 07:42 AM.

Comment

I would try resoldering all of your connections first before buying a new pup. Sounds like a poor ("cold") solder joint or a broken wire at one of those connections. It is EXTREMELY rare when there is a broken coil wire creating this kind of problem.
        Originally Posted by IanBallard
        Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
          I would try resoldering all of your connections first before buying a new pup. Sounds like a poor ("cold") solder joint or a broken wire at one of those connections. It is EXTREMELY rare when there is a broken coil wire creating this kind of problem.
          Thanks. Doc, that might be a wise advice.

However, that's a bit of a dilemma, since it's in an ES335, so a PITA to take everything off.
          All the wiring is a high quality harness that i bought 6 month ago and painstakingly inserted into the body.

So i kind of (want to) doubt it has anything to do with the connections, especially that when the sound did not come out,
          i gently moved around the wires from the F holes and it had no effect. no sound coming out, but no scratch or horrible noise.

Mmmmm ... maybe like BKR said, it could also be break in the the output wire ...

Comment

A flashlight and a dental mirror might help you locate if anything disconnected.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Like I said, not likely at all that it's a broken coil wire.

If you're planning on replacing the pup, you'd have to do all of that work you're afraid of, anyway, so why not do the inexpensive treatment first?! Trust me on this...it's not the pup. I don't care that you bought the harness...mistakes can be made by anyone. Even just inserting it into the 335 could have bent/loosened/broken a wire or connection. Every expert on the forum will (or should) admit that they have made some stupid mistakes along the line.

Keep in mind that pups don't just die and they don't just get a broken coil wire. Especially when they are not in use. And they don't magically come back to life occasionally. There could, however, be a cut in the wire insulation where the wire comes through the hole in the baseplate and occasionally allows the hot wire to ground out to the baseplate as the pup is manipulated. Also check your wiring of the output jack and make sure there is no inadvertent contact of the tip connection wire/lug touching a ground.

335s are great, but as you know, they are a pain to work on. That's just the way it is. If you personally don't want to deal with it, take it to a GOOD tech and pay the big bucks.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You convinced me. Thank you !

I shamefully admit that if i had been replacing the pickup i would have cut the wire of the pickup in place and solder from there, not taking out the guts. :

Will check and, if necessary, take it to a tech.
                Last edited by xuoham; 03-01-2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X