Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do bass guys do pup swaps / wiring changes like the guitar guys/gals?

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Re: Do bass guys do pup swaps / wiring changes like the guitar guys/gals?

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    . . . and the bridge went through the strangle capacitor which removed all the low end.
    That's somewhat bizarre. Do you have any idea of the reason they'd remove the bass from the bass?

Ultimate Tone Slacker DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Default Re: Do bass guys do pup swaps / wiring changes like the guitar guys/gals?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    That's somewhat bizarre. Do you have any idea of the reason they'd remove the bass from the bass?
    I really donít. But they do the same thing on the treble pickups on the guitars. Gives them that bright Rickenbacker jangle.

My Rick came with flatwounds. So the strings werenít as bright. And when you use both pickups together you get that classic Rick bass tone. So the treble pickup is really just adding to the treble bite. The neck pickups are more mellow sounding.

Rickenbacker were the very first electric guitars. They invented the first pickup which was the horseshoe pickup. Thatís why they still have that dumb cover over the pickup. That was the horseshoe magnet. I think on those pickups they used the caps because it was a loud pickups. But only on the stereo basses.

On the ones they exported to the UK, like Chris Squire used, they were mono and I donít think they used the cap.

But Iím just speculating. The current owners probably donít even know why it was done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That sounds logical. I'll buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
    My Ď73 4001 had the older lower wind pickups. The neck was a toaster and the bridge went through the strangle capacitor which removed all the low end. That pickup was useless on its own. So yeah, you didnít want to switch to that by chance.
    I knew nothing about the cap, but thanks for confirming that the bridge pickup was useless on it's own. I never had the means to run that "Rick-O-Sound" (stereo setup), so the four knobs always seemed kind of silly.
    '69 Fender Mustang bass
    '69 Gibson EB-1
    '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
    '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
    '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
    '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
    '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
    '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Btw, I found that 4001 wiring diagram over at TalkBass. It definitely is a bit unusual.

Name:  4001 wiring diagram.jpg
Views: 31
Size:  73.7 KB