Which vintage style tele pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which vintage style tele pickup

Maple neck/alder body tele, 9 gauge strings, current pickups are Fender Original Vintage A3 7.2k with a nickel cover, and bridge pickup is a Fender "pure vintage 58" which they ceased making but it's 6.6k a5 with raised D and G and it's pretty balanced

I want a little more heat from the neck pickup. More output. When playing hybrid picking I feel like I can't control my fingers enough to sound balanced, the treble strings sound weak.

The str-1 is 8k a5 with a brass cover, right? This should be a little hotter but darker? Had one forever ago and coming from Nocaster Neck pickup I thought it was Very Very dark and bassy. But I understand Nocaster neck is about the brightest tele neck pickup?

The antiquity ii neck says Seymour wound it for sorta like what I'm going for but was wondering if the regular str-1, or even vintage stack tele neck would get it for... Less money?

Re: Which vintage style tele pickup

In the neck slot as you get hotter, you gain way more bass than you will treble.....exacerbating the issue you already have.

I'd simply slant the pickup so the treble string part is closer to the strings.
    That or take the cover off, which will increase the high end from the pickup no end.

Comment

It's already almost touching on the high e and kinda have to pick around it not right over it, I leave a little pick sticking out not a ton but

Yeah so you're saying going darker is going to exacerbate the problem of the treble strings being unbalanced

The str-1 would necessarily be darker cuz brass cover and 8k wind

I'll try to play more with the height. Maybe I can find some kind of balance
      Sucks I gotta take the pickguard off lol dem 50s style pickups and pickguards

Comment

I tried swapping the stock neck pickup in
        It is 8.0k a5. Seems like a nickel cover cuz it's fairly clear sounding

I like it and will stick with it for now
        Cool beans that they put a pickup on their $600 mim guitar that I like better than what they used for years in their 52 ri

It balances a little better in volume with the bridge pickup and provides almost the same amount of compression
        The OV pickup was like... Better turn up the amp till EVERYTHING is compressed
        Or add a dirt pedal
        Cuz it's just not very strong and didn't push the amp much at all compared the the bridge

Comment

Working...
        X