banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happened to the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened to the Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Overdrive?

I have the DOD YJM. To My ears it seems to be a neutral boost. Though I haven't played it in a while. I think Ygnwie's tone is more is his strat and a Marshall.

Comment

Yes, it is based on the DOD OD250, which was very, very similar to the Distortion +. The D+ used germanium diodes for more distortion and compression, but with lower output. The OD250 uses silicon diodes so it will have more headroom and be a little crunchier*

*a totally subjective term

OD250

Distortion +

Last edited by devastone; 03-05-2020, 08:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TMD
        I thought it was a 250.
        The 250 and Distortion + are almost identical circuits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post
          Yup. Precisely this many parts:

Click image for larger version

Name:	YJM308_parts.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	5818411

Btw . . . I have no affiliation with Monte Allums. Just love his stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
            Yup. Precisely this many parts:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]103636[/ATTACH]

Btw . . . I have no affiliation with Monte Allums. Just love his stuff.
            Those are the parts for the mods, there are a few more parts needed to complete the circuit.

Comment

I am now down this Yngwie Malmsteen pedal rabbit hole because of the Beato video. I had my SV20 dialed in like Malmsteen has and my Fender 60s Vintera in hand, but I am missing the crunch from the pedal. I tried a TC Electronics Spark as the cleanest boost I have, but I can tell this would just end up with noise without the pedal he uses for his tone.

So after reading this thread what do you think? Just get a DOD OD-250 and you are virtually there or pay the prices commanded on those signature pedals? What alternatives are there if any?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBrothman View Post
                What alternatives are there if any?
                Cheap and easy to just build your own.
                Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post

They probably made a limited run. A slightly tweaked 250 right?
                  Does it sound like this?

Just a joke people.... since sometimes Yngwie has the no load pot ratty thing happening on his strat
                  “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

So, now that I have a YJM project going and a POD Go patch...

I'm going to - get this; Use the DOD 250 pedal model in the POD.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by DavidRavenMoon View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      As is the ROSS Distortion and a bunch of other pedals from that era.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post

Yes, it is based on the DOD OD250, which was very, very similar to the Distortion +. The D+ used germanium diodes for more distortion and compression, but with lower output. The OD250 uses silicon diodes so it will have more headroom and be a little crunchier*

*a totally subjective term

OD250

Distortion +

There is no hard and fast rule for what is in those older pedals. The builders will be the first to tell you they used whatever was available and inexpensive at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          So, now that I have a YJM project going and a POD Go patch...

I'm going to - get this; Use the DOD 250 pedal model in the POD.
                          I decided to use Tonex to get the pedal.

And it sounds like this.

Tonex profile of the pedal. The dialings on the Plexi are what he says he uses. Yes there is a ton of noise and Malmsteen uses a NS-2 and more because of it....

Comment

Um...interesting.
                            Originally posted by Bad City
                            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by MaxBrothman View Post
                              That sure is a mighty tiny Plexi...lol

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                                Um...interesting.
                                Do you mean bad? It is okay to say bad. I am only getting into finding this tone.

Honestly maybe the best thing is stick with Tonex entirely because they have a Malmsteen amp in there or Helix and sound like him without breaking the bank but I have the SV20 and a 60s Vintera. The noise is unreal though, like a Treble Booster hissing.

Comment

Working...
                                X