Poor man's FRFR speaker(s)!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poor man's FRFR speaker(s)!

Came across this oddball pair of speakers (70W each with 8" driver's & a top-mounted 3" tweeter & a port at the back) on amazon for less than $20 apiece & thought they'd be great as stereo FRFR speakers for my Mooer GE300 for jamming at home/practice.

They're passive, but I already had just the thing for them..ie. this:

A liitle 50W RMS amp I'd got off Aliexpress ($14 shipped ) a few months ago.just for the hell of it. It's tiny & fits in my palm..but is LOUD, clear & packs quite a wallop!

Hooked them up and it sounds great! Way better than I'd expected actually...and by that I mean loud, big & really transparent...not boxy or cheesy sounding at all. May not please Eric Johnson or Bonamassa, but it's good enough for me & beats the hell out of the ****ty little "bluetooth" speaker I was plugging my Mooer into to jam with before ..This is actually pretty punchy, fat & tonefull. Mic it up and I could even gig with it ..sounds that good
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-01-2020, 05:39 AM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: Poor man's FRFR speaker(s)!

Nice

There’s a mooer ge250 for $380 on aliexpress. Not sure I trust the seller though and have never used that site.

Comment

Sweet. The whole class D thing has opened up all kinds of inexpensive, and cool, little amps.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        Nice

There’s a mooer ge250 for $380 on aliexpress. Not sure I trust the seller though and have never used that site.
        Thanks! I jammed a bit with it it last night..cranked it up a bit ..very nice indeed. Thumpy as hell for a pair of eight inch'ers

Regarding the Mooer, that's a good price for sure. I've bought a lot of stuff off Aliexpress without any bad experiences at all. They don't pay the seller until you get what you bought and are happy enough with it to give the transaction a thumb's up. But then all my purchases have been in the sub $100 range....part's, pedals, little amps/amp-kits and other cheap electronics. As long as you pay by card (not bank transfers & **** like that) it should be ok, I mean..it has been for me.

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
          Sweet. The whole class D thing has opened up all kinds of inexpensive, and cool, little amps.
          Thanks!

Very true..I have a growing collection of them in my parts drawer

Youtube

Comment

And for the little that it's worth ..here they are in action

Sounds a hell of a lot nicer in the room ...but that's all I got skills for recording-wise
            Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-01-2021, 09:33 PM.

Youtube

Comment

It's interesting that the tweeter is pointing straight up. Typically, tweeters are very directional. Do you get nice "highs" out of this thing?

Comment

Yeah..that's why I thought t was an oddball design..the position of the vent at the back is a bit unconventional too (at the top right corner). It doesn't lack a thing though..they are really well balanced and sound very neutral....the tweeter being on top is actually more effective than if they were in front with the woofer since these look to be less than a foot tall...ie..lower than knee height. Tweeter looks like some kind of metal dome job & at 3" its pretty large too..

It actually sounds very balanced/clear indeed...great mids and bass too..& lots of punch. More like a really balanced full range speaker with a nice musical sound/plenty of everything than a conventional 2-way speaker.

My 8" Roland cube sounds like complete **** compared to these tbh.. (I know the Roland's got a guitar speaker..but the quailty of sound..ie bass treble mids does'nt compare..it's pretty tinny/boxy)

My recording pronbably only picked up the front though..that's why I said it sounds way better in the room.

Youtube

Comment

what ohm's are the speakers ? & do you have a link for them & the amp ? TIA

Comment

8 ohms as far as I can remember...and sure..here are the links though the speakers were on my local amazon (Amazon India) so they might not be available elsewhere..

Youtube

Comment

I decided to try and record them again and maybe do more justice to them ..'cuz that last recording sucked

So this time I took a bit more trouble over things. Recorded 3 different short (10-20 second) clips. Used both my Audio technica MB2K dynamic mic plugged into my Olympus handheld recorder's line input & also the recorder's own onboard mics with proper placement & volume adjustment..

Setup with the mic looked like this:

Had the mic about a foot in front between & over the two speakers angled down a bit..odd..but it worked.

And for the 3rd clip done with the recorder alone, it was similarly raised/positioned on a tripod instead of just slapping it down in front of the speakers on the carpet like I did last time

I did the first two clips with my Zoom G1XFour (mic'd with the Audio Technica MB2K) & the last clip was s preset from my Mooer GE300 recorded with just the recorder's own onboard mic's..

The results still were'nt quite as good as it really sounds in the room but a huge improvement from last time

Check it out:

No post production.
                      Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 03-02-2020, 06:19 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
                        8 ohms as far as I can remember...and sure..here are the links though the speakers were on my local amazon (Amazon India) so they might not be available elsewhere..

https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That little amp could be a gig back must-have. 50 watts in the palm of your hand for $14 you can't beat that for a backup amp.

Comment

Nice. What video editing software are you using? How do overlay those titles in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                            That little amp could be a gig back must-have. 50 watts in the palm of your hand for $14 you can't beat that for a backup amp.
                            Yep! ..you will need speaker simulation/IR's of some kind though, it's not a guitar amp..but awesome to plug a modeler into. It sounds like a real tube amp standing in front. Probably as loud/louder(?) than my 15W Goldea tube head too..and that's a loud amp for it's size... (15 tube watt's is no joke ..ask my neighbor's )

I ordered another....cuz' for $14 you never know haha!

But yeah....it may weigh about as much as a ping-pong ball, but it's been rock solid these last couple of days

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
                              Nice. What video editing software are you using? How do overlay those titles in there?
                              Thanks...Windows Movie Maker. I keep it simple and it shows lol.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                              X