SD SSL-1 Query..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD SSL-1 Query..

Bought two used SSL-1 pickups from eBay, from diff sellers.

The first one had a Seymour Duncan printed pickup cover. I put it in the neck position of my guitar, as I understand all SSL1 pickups are the same spec and are not positional.

The second pickup arrived yesterday. It does not have a printed pickup cover and has a sticker on it saying it's an SSL1 for the middle position. Does this mean it's RWRP from an SSL1 pickup set (and if so, do I have to wire it 'backwards'?) and is it normal to not have the printed pickup cover?

Re: SD SSL-1 Query..

Check if the polepieces repel or attract. The same orientation repels.

Comment

Originally posted by AlexR View Post
      Check if the polepieces repel or attract. The same orientation repels.
      Attracts to the SSL I put in the neck. Repels against the RWRP Texas Special I have in the middle position. Guess that settles it! Thanks!

The pickup has the following info on it. I1SM0 20171128 SSL-1 Middle.

So this will be hum cancelling on any of the in between positions? That's probably a result actually.
      Last edited by OdgeUK; 02-29-2020, 02:18 AM.

Comment

It is probably this one. And yes, it will cancel hum when used with the other SSL-1.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by OdgeUK View Post
          Attracts to the SSL I put in the neck. Repels against the RWRP Texas Special I have in the middle position. Guess that settles it! Thanks!

The pickup has the following info on it. I1SM0 20171128 SSL-1 Middle.

So this will be hum cancelling on any of the in between positions? That's probably a result actually.
          Covers are replaceable, who knows what anything came with originally.

Right now you have a standard SSL-1 and a RWRP SSL-1. These will cancel hum when combined, no need to swap leads with these two, they are in phase with each other.

Now, you’ve got a Texas Special for the bridge, that you probably want to keep there. Since it repels the RWRP SSL-1, it is magnetically the same as the SSL-1 RWRP. The Texas Special is probably electrically out of phase with the Duncan’s, meaning you’ll need to swap the leads on either the Fender or the two Duncan’s.

This is what you want to do:
          Neck: SSL-1 RWRP
          Middle: SSL-1
          Bridge: Texas Special - Swap leads

Alternatively you can swap the leads on both Duncan’s to get everything in phase.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by OdgeUK View Post
            Bought two used SSL-1 pickups from eBay, from diff sellers.

The first one had a Seymour Duncan printed pickup cover. I put it in the neck position of my guitar, as I understand all SSL1 pickups are the same spec and are not positional.

The second pickup arrived yesterday. It does not have a printed pickup cover and has a sticker on it saying it's an SSL1 for the middle position. Does this mean it's RWRP from an SSL1 pickup set (and if so, do I have to wire it 'backwards'?) and is it normal to not have the printed pickup cover?
            Older Duncan pickups do not have a logo printed on the cover, my old set of SSL-1's (with SSL-5 bridge) have non-logo covers.
            Al

Comment

Working...
            X