Peavey Odyssey Replacement Pickups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peavey Odyssey Replacement Pickups

Looking for a matched set of Humbuckers for a Peavey Odyssey LP Style guitar.
    I have owned a Peavey Odyssey from new (1995) and having treated myself to a MIM Tele for a significant birthday recently, I realised that my Odyssey sounded a bit muddy (I think that's the right word), in comparison on the same amp.
    I realize that there is a significant tone difference between the 2 guitars but thought that maybe the original Peavey pickups may not be the best anyway. So I was thinking of replacing them and am seeking advice on suitable replacements.
    The Odyssey is a Les Paul single cut style body with through neck, 2 humbuckers, with a Mahogany body capped with a 2 part maple top. The fretboard is Ebony. It has a coil split switch as standard so I would need the 4 wires. It is Made In America and an is a well made, heavy and stable instrument - I love it. I think it was originally strung with 10s but I use 9s.
    The standard neck pickup has a resistance of 14.26 KOhms and the Bridge is 14.47 KOhms.
    Now that I have the luxury of a second guitar, the Peavey would be for (attempted) 70s and 80s overdriven rock riffs.
    I have done a little looking around and being of limited bedroom intermediate standard and having limited knowledge of pickups, I am considering either the Hot Rodded matched set (JB/Jazz), or the 59 Vintage matched set (can these be coil tapped?), or any alternative, or combination you may recommend.
    It would be nice to hear from anyone with the same guitar too.
    Thanks in advance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Odyssey.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	5853583
    Last edited by dno; 03-01-2020, 12:30 PM.

Re: Peavey Odyssey Replacement Pickups

Originally posted by dno View Post
    The fretboard is Ivory. It has a coil tap switch
    No, the fretboard is probably rosewood with pearloid inlays. It has a coil "split" switch.

The standard neck pickup has a resistance of 14.26 KOhms and the Bridge is 14.47 KOhms.
    No wonder it sounds a bit muddy, at least in the neck. If both pups sound muddy, it's because they are probably very cheap Asian-made pups. In any case, I agree that replacements are probably in order.

Now that I have the luxury of a second guitar, the Peavey would be for (attempted) 70s and 80s overdriven rock riffs.
    I have done a little looking around and being of limited bedroom intermediate standard and having limited knowledge of pickups, I am considering either the Hot Rodded matched set (JB/Jazz), or the 59 Vintage matched set (can these be coil tapped?), or any alternative, or combination you may recommend.
    The JB/Jazz may be a decent selection for what you want to play, but the JB is a temperamental animal. In some guitars it sound great, in others not so much. If some of the muddiness you're experiencing is because of the guitar (very likely) then I personally would not take a chance on the JB. The Jazz is an excellent pup but I would consider pairing with a Custom 5 in the bridge (it's a pup that does just about anything and takes to magnet changes like a duck to water). Both of these pups are 4 conductor so you can do coil "SPLITS" (you won't be able to do coil taps with these pups unless you order them from the Custom shop with the tap wire).
    Originally Posted by IanBallard
    Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Sorry about the Ivory! It is Ebony; I must have had Paul McCartney and Stevie wonder going through my head ! OK, coil SPLITs is the correct term (although that's the term Peavey used in the handboook), got it.
      Right I shall look up the Custom 5
      Last edited by dno; 03-01-2020, 12:35 PM.

Comment

I'd go with a Custom & Jazz here. The Custom isn't as temperamental as a JB, and sounds good at more gain ranges.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Nothing to add here except to say you have a very nice guitar. I played one last year and it oozed quality. Some people assume they are "cheap" guitars because they are Peavey, but they don't realize this was a made in USA flagship model when new.

I did not plug it in, though, so I have no opinion on the pickups. A Custom or Custom 5 certainly sounds like a good choice to me for the bridge.

Comment

Thank you for the responses gentlemen. You seem to have given me a clear steer with the Jazz and Custom. I just need to figure out which Custom to get - SH-5, 11 or 14!
            And thanks for the complement Dave; It does ooze quality. I didn't know what I'd bought back then and only now that I've learned a little more that I realize it's a little gem.
            Last edited by dno; 03-02-2020, 04:20 AM.

Comment

You can get any of the Customs, (they all have the same coils just the magnets are different). I'd start with the Custom 5 and swap magnets if need be.
              Originally Posted by IanBallard
              Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Thank you very much GuitarDoc. That's perfect and makes total sense, even to me! Custom 5 it is.

Now, if someone can give me advice on how to play like the guy demonstrating all the 3 Customs on Seymour Duncan's Video I'll be happy...

Comment

Working...
                X