Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: EVH acting up again

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post
    A thermionic valve amp should never get to that point but it happens.

You could have damage to the traces on the PCB or God knows what else permanent damage.

You have to ask yourself how much money am i going to throw at this $500 amp ?

Personally i would get something else thats not SNAFU'd/FUBAR'd.
    More like $1900.
    --------------------------------------------------------
    1973 Aria 551
    1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
    1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
    1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
    1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
    1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
    2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

Originally posted by Coma View Post
      More like $1900.
      Maybe in Sweden but not here homie. MESA Dual Rec's go for $800 and below here. EVH amps are on CL here every week for cheap.

You're close to UK pickup a Marshall & stop wasting your time on cheap amps.

Comment

Thing is, I have. When I first started having issues I swapped most of them, so they've all been fairly recently replaced. My assumption was that it's something like the tube socket that's vibrating, but amp tech said he couldn't find any such issues, and I don't know enough about amp design to even know where to start searching if I were to pop it open.
        I would still try to switch them. It's just not rare for tube to just go bad or misbehave by poor luck even right out of the box.

Besides, if the amp had redplating issues before, it may be contributing factor for power tubes to go bad after a year. First thing that comes to mind would be internal damage in tube sockets from earlier meltdown to cause intermittent contact. It's at least one very easy thing for tech not to be able to figure out, especially if it's caused by vibration during play.

Edit: Of course if he changed the sockets as well when fixed it. That's less likely to be a problem now.
        Last edited by Jacew; 03-04-2020, 03:48 PM.
        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Amp was burning power tubes (redplating). Either a bunch of components in the power section had fried, taking the tube with them or the hot tube had fried components underneath it. Either way it was smoking and smelled real foul. Had the tubes and busted up components replaced and then the amp re-biased.

It did not squeal before repairs, nor did it squeal directly afterwards.
          If pre and power tube swaps didn't resolve it, then more components have likely gone bad.

Comment

Working...
          X