banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Reliability of my Boss Katana Artist is...Shocking!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Reliability of my Boss Katana Artist is...Shocking!

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
    Open up the amp and check that the ground connection on the power cable input port is properly making contact
    This would be my guess as well. That's probably the next simplest explanation remaining given what he's already checked.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Masta' C View Post

Any idea why it takes 20-30 seconds for the charge to "build up" inside the amp/guitar before it will cause an apparent shock? Seems like that could be some sort of clue to someone who understands the internal workings of amps better than myself.
      That makes it sound like a power supply filter capacitor.

I’d definitely take the amp in for servicing. It shouldn’t be leaking current into the ground path.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought maybe a capacitor due to the build up of the charge, as well, but an internal grounding issue is definitely a possibility.

Thank you guys.

I've reached out to Boss/Roland. I'll let you know how this pans out!

Comment

No, it's all of the above. The charge steadily increases if I don't touch anything and touching the strings, bridge, amp, etc. all result in an electric shock.
          Does it go away if you ground the mass (plug, chassis, whatever) manually against the ground in an outlet (or against a radiator or something else grounded)?

Comment

I thought maybe a capacitor due to the build up of the charge, as well, but an internal grounding issue is definitely a possibility.

Thank you guys.

I've reached out to Boss/Roland. I'll let you know how this pans out!
            It might be a leaky filter cap, but I it shouldn't be building up a charge like that, maybe if it was a tube amp. Definitely let us know what Boss says!

I have been Boss curious about the Artist versus the 100W head with my own 1-12 cab. I know the Artist has a much nicer cab and speaker, and moves some of the functions that are available in the software to actual knobs on the panel. Are there actual internal/software tone differences? I know it would be kinda redundant with my GT-1000, but the idea of just plugging into an amp is kinda nice.

Also kinda depends on how they treat you as well, this is definitely something they should address.
            Last edited by devastone; 03-07-2020, 11:03 AM.

Comment

The new V.2 series introduces some subtle, but really nice updates to the software and onboard control options. Patches on the V.2 aren't backwards compatible, from what I understand, but that's not a big loss, as there's tons out there for the V.1 and most users create their own regardless. Plus, V.1 patches are compatible with the V.2 if you ever decide to upgrade. If you haven't done so already, take a look at Juca Nery's patches: https://jucaneryguitar.com/product/premium/

As for the V.1 Artist vs the 100, there really aren't any differences in terms of software, etc. You're basically spending 30% more for a 10% improvement in sound (better speaker/larger cab) and a 20% improvement in usability with the controls being on the front, plus a cabinet resonance knob, which is kinda cool. For me, it was worth it and if I buy a V.2 at some point, I will get an Artist again.

Of course, that depends on how Boss treats me this time around. Their first response was very generic, so I wrote them back with increased concern for the "safety hazard" that this electric shock presents. Waiting to hear back again.

On the plus side, I'm seeing used V.1 Artists breaking the $400 shipped price barrier with a GA-FC footswitch included (which is normally $100+ on its own and can be used with the V.2 later on).

Comment

Thanks for the info, since I have a pretty much brand new Avatar 1-12 cab here sounds like the head would be the way to go if I decide to grab a Katana.

Comment

The head is awesome. If I still had a 2x12 cab, I would have gone that route for sure.

Comment

My boss gt10 shocks me unless its grounded by connecting to something in some way like usb or another amp that has a three prong plug.

If you have a multimeter around I'd suggest just check the continuity between the ground pin of the power cable plug & and the amp chassis or intrument cable plug sleeve or guitar strings. It might be simpler fix than having to transport it for warranty repair.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
                      My boss gt10 shocks me unless its grounded by connecting to something in some way like usb or another amp that has a three prong plug.

If you have a multimeter around I'd suggest just check the continuity between the ground pin of the power cable plug & and the amp chassis or intrument cable plug sleeve or guitar strings. It might be simpler fix than having to transport it for warranty repair.
                      I keep saying that
                      but everyone ignores me
                      and post the same thing
                      in different wording

hmmm

Me thinks I may be on someone's ignore list

hmmm
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        I keep saying that but everyone ignores me...Me thinks I may be on someone's ignore list
                        Not at all!

Just checked...I'm getting continuity between the ground lug on the plug and the amp chassis mounting bolts (the only exposed, non-painted metal parts), as well as the input jack casing on the front.

No continuity between the ground and power lugs or the power lugs and anything else that I can reach without opening it up.

Comment

then the chassis should be sending the "shock" to ground not you

are the grounds in your house ok?
                          EHD

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                            then the chassis should be sending the "shock" to ground not you

are the grounds in your house ok?
                            Now who's not reading the other's posts? ha ha!

Yes, everything in the house seems to check out fine. I haven't had any problems with any other devices, all outlets check out electrically and for grounding, and the shock was still happening when I tried the amp on different circuits in the house. The house was built in the '90s, so no wonky wiring, etc.

Interestingly, when I was playing it today, it wasn't shocking me. Makes me wonder if there is a loose ground internally or if the ground plug is experiencing an intermittent failure. If so, that could explain the continuity, which I just checked today, as well. If it starts shocking me again, I'll try to check the continuity again.

Still waiting to hear back from Roland/Boss. I'm about to send a second follow-up email.

Comment

Try this

Shuffle your feet around where you play at for just a bit
                              Then touch the amp

You could be building a static charge not recieving one

The longer you do this the bigger the charge gets

I have some shoes that cause the door knob to bite the fk out of me here at the house

It may be the static charge escaping to ground
                              EHD

Comment

Yeah, I thought about that, too, but that's not the case.

In my initial testing, thinking it could possibly be static, I would first touch the guitar and amp chassis, then intentionally stand there without moving, waiting for 20-30 seconds before I touched the amp or metal parts of the guitar again. I did it with shoes on and off.

I could repeatedly shock myself without moving and the longer I waited, the stronger the zap was. If it was just static, it should be a single zap and done unless I were to move again.

Comment

Working...
                                X