Aluminum shielding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum shielding

I get a lot of electrical noise in my house, so I decided to shield my Warwick today. Took out the pickups and knobs, lined all with aluminum foil, and grounded each cavity. All the noise is 100% gone whether I'm touching the strings or not. This was the cheapest and easiest mod I've ever done, and yielded the most night & day results. Go figure.
    “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Re: Aluminum shielding

Heavy gauge aluminum foil is a go-to if you don't have access to copper foil.
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

I used cheapo Reynolds wrap.
      “I can play the hell out of a riff. The rest of it’s all bulls**t anyway,” Gary Holt

Comment

Cool. Good info. And like you said, Reynolds Wrap is cheap.

Comment

Yeah, definitely a perfect alternative to copper tape if you ground it reliably. What method did you ground it with?
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Warwicks have a pair of large springs under each pickup. I put the end of a ground wire underneath a spring in each pickup cavity, then soldered the other ends to the tone pot. For the control cavity, the pots are in direct contact with the foil.

Comment

Does aluminum cause any bleed of higher frequencies due to Eddie currents? (I know it's probably much less of a problem with a bass than an electric guitar.)
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

On my bass, it had little to no affect. I usually hear about any high end loss, but it may be affecting frequencies I’m not occupying.

Comment

Working...
                X