X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Just bought my first pedal!

Originally posted by TMD
    Mega Preacher?
    I meant Mega Church Preacher. Where do you live? are you familiar with these monstrosities?
    “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
      +1

For example, metal zones make great doorstops or paperweights. :P
      So True. Butan HM-2 is THE must own Swedish Deth Metal Pedal. But! At ultra low distortion, with a vintage pup, and the right eq settings, it makes a killer Blues/Grind sound....

And even the MZ has it's musical uses. Like, maybe two I think. But a way better paper weight, door stop, tire block, vent hole filler, etc....
      Originally posted by Bad City
      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

The Dano distortion is not a bad place to start. There are certainly worse pedals out there. If I remember correctly, the key is to keep the gain (distortion) knob and the tone knob not too high.

Enjoy! The Danelectro FAB pedals are good first steps. I actually like the delay - I kept it and sold three much more expensive delay pedals because it works just as well for what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
          ..or an entire stereo pedalboard of Strymon pedals can get you a date with the Mega Church Preachers daughter
          LOL

Comment

It's a hell of a lot better than my first pedal ("Rocktek" something or the other...I only remember it cause it was a lurid pink). Then I got a DOD Death Metal...thought it was a tone machine (still do!). The trick is not to give a damn about what "the general opinion" of something is. If it suits your purpose/budget & sounds good to you ..that's what matters
            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

My first pedal was a distortion pedal by the famous Next company (!?!). It had a knob where you can dial in the 'decade' of distortion...60s, 70s, 80s..and NEXT.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

After I decided to cut ties with the multieffects, my first pedal was a Digitech Death Metal. I'd say it weighs in probably around 1 kg/2 pounds and has no gain control. Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                  My first pedal was a distortion pedal by the famous Next company (!?!). It had a knob where you can dial in the 'decade' of distortion...60s, 70s, 80s..and NEXT.
                  This one, I assume:

Rare and versatile, fully functional, wild and hairy, retro and futuristic: it's the NeXT Distortion X pedal.  Volume and Drive do just that, and the Wave knob is some sort of filter or presence control which basically selects where the distortion is the hairiest.  It's labeled 60, 70, ...

It is a pretty cool idea, actually, though I have my doubts whether it delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                    This one, I assume:

Rare and versatile, fully functional, wild and hairy, retro and futuristic: it's the NeXT Distortion X pedal.  Volume and Drive do just that, and the Wave knob is some sort of filter or presence control which basically selects where the distortion is the hairiest.  It's labeled 60, 70, ...

It is a pretty cool idea, actually, though I have my doubts whether it delivered.
                    This was it, although mine was an earlier beige version. They had a whole line of effects. It sounded pretty bad.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Were the different decade settings just jumps in (fundamentally the same) gain or did they have distinct EQ curves?
                      ---------------------------
                      The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        Honestly, I think a modeling pedal like that would be kind of cool....
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                          Honestly, I think a modeling pedal like that would be kind of cool....
                          Then take a look at the SourceAudio Classic Distortion. The pedal is freaking amazing.

Effects

Here are some brief descriptions of the effects included in the Classic Distortion. Most of the effects are based on, but not exact copies of, a variety of popular analog distortion pedals. Don’t expect the sounds to be exactly like the corresponding analog effects. We tried to capture the spirit of each sound rather than trying to copy the exact nuts and bolts.

TUBE DRIVE
                          An overdriven tube amp effect similar to a Marshall® sound. Try scaling back the drive knob for a nice mild overdrive.

SMOOTH TUBE
                          Based on Mesa-Boogie® pre-amp distortion.

POWER STAGE
                          Inspired by the Fulltone Distortion Pro®.

CRUNCH TUBE
                          Our own distortion, not based on any particular sound. It’s a more aggressive tube distortion.

TS9000
                          Based the Ibanez Tube Screamer® with a lot of mid boost.

BIG PI
                          Based on an Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi®. Don’t ask which exact model. That’s not the point.

EL RATON
                          Based on the ProCo Rat®.

FUZZ FAÇADE
                          Our version of the classic Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face® sound.

BENDER
                          The Tone Bender®. We specifically used an MK II, but don’t obsess over the exact model number.

METAL
                          Our own metal distortion with plenty of highs and lows.

OCTAVE FUZZ
                          A full wave rectifier, as everyone does, to mimic the classic Octavia®. This tends to sound better with DRIVE 2 turned up much higher than DRIVE 1.

CLEAN BOOST / TONE
                          A distortion effect bypass that still allows the gain and the TONE control to be used. Great for doing clean lead boosts or use strictly as a tone control. Clipping the output is possible with this setting. If the levels are boosted high enough, the hard clipping can actually sound pretty good.
                          Last edited by Securb; 03-06-2020, 04:54 AM.

Comment

^^^Is that all analog? hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by dave74 View Post
                              ^^^Is that all analog? hahaha
                              It is a digital modeler but close your eye and you won't know the difference.

Here is a review of the pedal I did a while back

Comment

Got the pedal today so I went to closest music store and picked up another cable.

Worst cable I've ever used. You can hear things rattling in the actual plug ends and the buzz is unbearable. I thought the cheap cable that came with my guitar was bad but this is unusable!

I can tell you this much. I won't be shopping at that store anymore. Dude sold me a $3 piece of s**t Amazon cable for $15. I was livid when I saw that. So it's going back when they open in 6 hrs. 500% markup is ridiculous. Especially on that garbage. It's bad enough that he overcharges for strings. I can deal with $3 extra bucks here and there on a single pack but this is outrageous.

It was so bad I couldn't use it with the pedal at all and it was useless with just my guitar, also. The buzzing was still unbearable.

Edit: looks like they're as cheap as $1.99 on Amazon. So that's even worse. 750% markup on a garbage cable.

I'm most disappointed in the fact that I couldn't even test the pedal. What I heard sounded decent but I didn't keep it plugged up for very long.
                                Last edited by Wound_Up; 03-07-2020, 04:24 AM.
                                JC
                                -2023 Indio 66SB DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ P90s
                                -2020 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Goldtop w/ Seth Lover neck & '59 Model bridge w/ Faber hardware(#1 guitar)
                                -2021 Indio 66 DLX Plus - Iced Tea Burst
                                -2023 Indio Boardwalk (335-style)
                                -2022 Indio Retro DLX Plus(T-style) - w/ Fender AVRI 62 Custom neck & 52 bridge pickups.
                                -2020 Stage Right 1x12" 15w tube combo(Laney Cub 12R)

Comment

Working...
                                X