Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why do you suppose bass's use "blends", while guitars use switches?

Slutbucker Pimpologist ArtieToo's Avatar

Default Re: Why do you suppose bass's use "blends", while guitars use switches?

Quote Originally Posted by JB_From_Hell View Post
    Cool, looking forward to hearing your opinions of those.

Funny you mention the inside switch. I'm thinking of doing the same with a mini-switch I have around here to put my Warwick's neck pickup in parallel.
    Just got your QP and strings. We forgot to check our mailbox yesterday. They sat there all night. Thanks man. I'll probably plug this QP in this morning.

Nice. Hope you like the half-rounds more than I did

Ultimate Tone Slacker DavidRavenMoon's Avatar

Blend pots are fairly new inventions, but as others have pointed out Jazz basses allow you to mix the two pickups, but there’s no master volume, not that I ever turn the volume down on my bass. Unless I’m muting it.

Les Pauls use a different wiring, whereas turning one volume all the way off mutes both pickups. Jazz basses and Ricks have independent volumes.

But if you think about the way Gibson set it up, you have a preset rhythm and lead tone at the flick of a switch. And all these instruments were designed like 50 years ago.

I put a blend control on one of my two humbucker guitars instead of a switch. It wasn’t as useful as on a bass. The blend options between the two pickups was meh, and I ended up putting the switch back in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure if it's even correct to call my Toby a "jazz" bass per se. I call it that because it has "jazz" pickups. Other than that, it looks nothing like a Fender Jazz bass. It has passive pickups, that go into an active preamp, that has master vol / blend / treble / bass. The funny thing is, it sounds best with the volume dimed, and the other three all in their center detent. Maybe because I'm such a novice bass player.

Ultimate Tone Slacker

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I'm not sure if it's even correct to call my Toby a "jazz" bass per se. I call it that because it has "jazz" pickups. Other than that, it looks nothing like a Fender Jazz bass. It has passive pickups, that go into an active preamp, that has master vol / blend / treble / bass. The funny thing is, it sounds best with the volume dimed, and the other three all in their center detent. Maybe because I'm such a novice bass player.
    Center detent is my base bass tone. That still leaves room in either direction for tonal adjustments to fit the song.

Quote Originally Posted by chadd View Post
    . . . base bass tone.
    Can I steal that?

Quote Originally Posted by ArtieToo View Post
    I'm not sure I've ever seen a 2-pup bass with a 3-way. And you don't see a guitar with a blend very often. (If ever.) I wonder why they're done that way. Would it be weird to do a 3-way on a bass?
    Any kind of resistance as load lowers the amplitude of the resonance peak in passive pickups. For guitars that is very undesirable since they become lifeless very quickly. For bass this is often either acceptable, desired, or an acceptable price to pay for mixing the two pickups to position the bottom of the bass correctly (aka the price for being able to blend).

ETA: to clarify, there is some load on the guitar pickups, too, via the vol pot even when full open. But that is only a fraction of the suppression that blend pots would have if you actually use them.

Yeah, and to make it worse, my Toby bass uses passive pups that connect to a dual 25k blend pot right on the input. (Green and red dots.) That means they both see 12.5k. That's got to be sucking the life out of those pups. I'm going to swap in a 250k/250k and see what impact it has.

Name:  Toby_bass_preamp.png
Views: 78
Size:  24.9 KB

P.S. If a company is going to go to the trouble of putting in an active preamp, why the heck wouldn't you provide an input buffer on both pups. It's literally a small handful of inexpensive components.

That is an interesting choice of pot values and positions

Quote Originally Posted by uOpt View Post
    That is an interesting choice of pot values and positions
    Yeah. I'm going to change that "blend pot" value. I'm even thinking of doing the EMG ABC pot. (Active Blend Control.) It looks like a cool product, but kinda expensive for what it is.

And . . . we have Apollos in da house.

Yeah! Let me know how those Apollos work out.
    Dave, Ambassador/Writer/Artist for Seymour Duncan

My Guitar, Gear, and Music Webpage

Gear pics and more on my Instagram.