Alternative to MXR Bass DI+ M80?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to MXR Bass DI+ M80?

I used to own an MXR Bass DI+ a while ago, and I absolutely loved it. I sold it as I didn't play bass much in the last couple of years.

I'm starting to pick bass up again, and I want to rebuild my little bass board. The MXR M80 was the heart of my rig back then, really. It was great in front of my Ampeg. It was an always on type of pedal. I just switched between the clean and the dirty sound in it. I loved that I could go direct with it as well.

The MXR was great, but time has passed, and I'm wondering what else there is nowadays as far as a dual-channel (clean/dirty) bass preamp with EQ capabilities that can go direct. I'd love the distortion side to have clean blend capabilities. The one thing I'd change about the Bass DI+ is that the distortion sounded a bit too pedal-ish. Kinda like a Boss DS1. Not bad, but I'm wondering if there's anything more amp-like nowadays.

What are you guys' recommendations?

Thanks

Re: Alternative to MXR Bass DI+ M80?

“For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Yeah, Tech 21 has several devices that do exactly what you want. From their Bass Driver to their Fly Rigs. They all sound great direct or into an amp.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I have one of those MXR DIs and I agree about the distortion. My bass player uses a green russian muff RI for bass dirt, sounds perfect live. I have a Tech21 VT Deluxe, 2 banks of 3 settings and the dirt is more grit than fuzzed out.

Tech21 also has Geddy Lee, Dug Pinnick and Steve Harris pedals, among the many options.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. The Tech 21 stuff would seem like the obvious choice, but how do you guys think it compares to the Darkglass stuff? How about the EHX Battalion? That one seems pretty affordable. It might be good if it actually sounds good, LOL. I like the EHX stuff. I've got a Black Finger which sounds absolutely beautiful for bass.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 03-05-2020, 11:16 AM.

Comment

I use this:

In addition, I add a Boss Bass Limiter and EQ pedal up front and I'm good. I *might* have went with the Battalion had I seen it when I was looking for a DI/Preamp. I have only heard awesome about the Darkglass.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              Thanks for the replies. The Tech 21 stuff would seem like the obvious choice, but how do you guys think it compares to the Darkglass stuff? How about the EHX Battalion? That one seems pretty affordable. It might be good if it actually sounds good, LOL. I like the EHX stuff. I've got a Black Finger which sounds absolutely beautiful for bass.
              Never compared But I've used a lot of Tech 21 stuff, and it is always wonderful.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X