Gibson 57 Classic Plus vs Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibson 57 Classic Plus vs Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates

Which of the two would be more aggressive/cutting bright, the specs on both are extremely close
    Last edited by pittbull; 03-05-2020, 01:26 PM.

Re: Gibson 57 Classic Plus vs Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates

The PG would be brighter.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Pearly Gates
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

Having had both in the same guitar, the 57 classic plus is low mid focused (mine was one of the newer ones that came stock in my 2012 Traditional), where the pearly is more high mid focused. I think the Pearly's top end is a little sweeter, and the 57+ can be a little clanky sounding. The 57+ is definitely chunkier in the palm mute riffing category, but for aggressive/cutting/bright the pearly is gonna win out.

Comment

IMO the PG has more edge & attitude.
          "You should know better by now than to introduce science into a discussion of voodoo."

Comment

Love the 57’s. Have them loaded in my Epi LP. Very chunky and big thick bottom end. They cut through The mix with ease. Especially the bridge.

Comment

Pearlies.

I assume we are talking bridge here, or is it the set? And of course, what guitar? I assume Les Paul, but you did not say.
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

PG.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I think the PG's should be compared to a BB1&2 set, not the 57's.

Comment

1960 Historic LP, BB 1&2 set, s/b
                    Elegant LP, Classic '57s, chambered
                    LP Classic Antique, GOTW, '57/'57+, chambered
                    G&L ASAT Deluxe, maple/hog, '59n/TB-4, s/b
                    Boogie amps, I play clean, a lot, many genres, no metal, no chug.

The Historic is great for when I'm doing more hard rock/hard blues to a younger audience. I don't have a Pearly set at the moment, but they are brighter, but in a sweeter way. Both cut really well. The BB 2 can twang like a Tele on steroids, if I need it to.

The Elegant LP is the one I take (or a 335) for the wedding/nursing home/coffeehouse gigs, LOL! The '57s are just sweeter, mellower, and never strident. Doesn't seem to mess up the hearing aids as much, I guess.

The ASAT Deluxe is NOT A LES PAUL, not even with the maple cap. This one has 250K pots. No booming neck tones. No shrillness from the TB-4, just a really good rocking, rounded, lead guitar tone. Guitar has a split switch--doesn't sound like a Tele, either. I'm more of a Legacy/Comanche guy, but this guitar has done some gigs for me where it's just been perfect.

The Classic Antiques are interesting. Very lightweight for a Paul. Again, very sweet and smooth. Uncovered pickups, so a little edge to complement the chambering perhaps? I love the woman-tone neck through the Boogies for Santana leads. The Plus in the bridge sounds very similar to the TB-4 in the ASAT, to my ear. Rounded, mid-heavy PAF rock tone, yet responds well when the bright switch is pulled. Crazy sustain for a chambered body with lots of resonance. Pickups are potted, but I can drive it into controlled feedback if I want it. Bridge is way warmer, sweeter (muddier) than the BB2. Good all around guitar, but so light that if feels fragile.

I also have Seths in a 1960 Classic, and Antiquitys in another, and Seths in a chambered LP Supreme. I would prefer these over '57 Classics for their versatility and added clarity. And FWIW, the Ibanez Super '58 is another good sounding vintage style pickup.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

57 Classic + is more smooth than aggressive. The PG can get pretty gnarly. Very different pickups to my ears. I like both but prefer the PG.

Comment

from my understanding there are a few variations of the 57 classics, the ones im familiar with have more low mid than the pg but a weird clangy top end that i dont care for

Comment

Working...
                        X